3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking for headers and muffler/CAT Back

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005 | 07:09 PM
05hemi
|
Rookie
Default Looking for headers and muffler/CAT Back

I hope to be making some changes to my truck in about a month. I want to get some headers and I need some input. I know that the long tube headers are preferable, but I need to know if there are any smog issues with the long tube headers. I know that I can get the shorties and not have any smog issues. I am also wondering about the different types of coating on the headers. I see that most manufacturer's have several types of coatings and I want to know what the difference is. Also, I want the truck to be loud. I don't know how to describe how loud other than; "I don't care if the person next to me can hear me when I talk." Would the long tube or the shorties give the loudest sound. In conjunction with this I want to get a new muffler. Right now I have a flowmaster muffler and by itself it is not loud enough. I am reluctant to get a CAT Back kit because I just want the muffler. I am not concerned with the chrome pipes and I already have a tip, but if buying the whole kit will give me better performance, then I will consider it.

I realize that these are redundant topics, but any info relating to types of headers and mufflers, or manufacturer's there of, would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-17-2005 | 08:23 PM
Avanti
Captain
Default RE: Looking for headers and muffler/CAT Back

Smog issues depend on where you live. Some places have visual inspection and others don't. If your header doesn't have a C.A.R.B. number you can have problems. Just a fact of life.

Material? Simply get stainless and forgetaboutit. One can always ceramic coat stainless if one wants less radiant heat. Whatever you buy, be sure they have 3/8" thick flanges, and not 1/4". Check the welds before installing. Even today quality of welds still varies.

As for sound given what you want, I cannot believe you haven't simply removed the muffler and/or resonator completely. The cat will still over some muffling and if you want loud, this may be where to start. Headers will not add a lot of sound, but most do a little because of the far thinner-walled material than cast iron.

All the best.

Quick Reply: Looking for headers and muffler/CAT Back