3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 Ram 2500 Hemi A/C Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 03:58 PM
frogjaw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Ram 2500 Hemi A/C Problems

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 with a Hemi engine. I had an A/C line that had a hole in it and my compressor quit working so I changed the compressor, compressor switch and the line that had the hole. I recharged the system but the compressor won't kick in when I turn the air on. I can run a hot wire to the A/C compressor and it will kick in and blow like it's supposed to. Any idea why the compressor won't kick in?

Old 05-27-2014, 08:17 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Is the condenser fan working. Bad control switch.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:30 PM
frogjaw

The A/C fan blows all the time, but I can't get the compressor won't kick in until I run a hot wire to it. Someone said that it might be the pcm, is that a possibility??

Old 05-27-2014, 10:47 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

I would check the other 2 first. PCM replacement should be at the end of the list.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:38 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by frogjaw
The A/C fan blows all the time, but I can't get the compressor won't kick in until I run a hot wire to it. Someone said that it might be the pcm, is that a possibility??

Have you checked the electric clutch, drive pulley and belt arrangement?
The A/C clutch components provide the means to engage and disengage the A/C compressor from the engine accessory drive belt. When the electromagnetic A/C clutch coil is energized, it magnetically draws the clutch plate into contact with the clutch pulley and drives the compressor shaft. When the coil is not energized, the pulley freewheels on the clutch hub bearing, which is part of the pulley assembly.
A/C clutch engagement is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or Engine Control Mopdule (ECM), depending on engine application. When the A/C-heater control is set to any A/C position, it sends a request signal on the CAN-B bus to the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM), which then transfers the request on the CAN-C Bus to the PCM/ECM, which determines if operating conditions are correct for A/C clutch engagement. When all operating conditions have been met, the PCM/ECM sends a signal on a dedicated hard-wired circuit back to the TIPM to energize the internal A/C clutch high side driver. When energized, the A/C clutch high side driver provides battery current to the A/C clutch coil. The A/C clutch control system is diagnosed using a scan tool.
This information from the service manual may be of assistance.

Quick Reply: 2006 Ram 2500 Hemi A/C Problems