DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   2004 hemi pcm replacement (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/376181-2004-hemi-pcm-replacement.html)

fj5gtx 06-18-2014 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech (Post 3174948)
No sir

Thank you! Just saved me a bunch of time and some cash !

I guess its off to the inspection station to get my inspection stickers. The indicators seem to be working properly for the ac and mirror heat... maybe it was just an initialization thing since the battery had been disconnected.

I'll drive it a bit and see if anything else pops up.

TNtech 06-19-2014 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by fj5gtx (Post 3174957)
Thank you! Just saved me a bunch of time and some cash !

I guess its off to the inspection station to get my inspection stickers. The indicators seem to be working properly for the ac and mirror heat... maybe it was just an initialization thing since the battery had been disconnected.

I'll drive it a bit and see if anything else pops up.

You may need to drive a couple days so the CARB monitors can complete.

fj5gtx 06-21-2014 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by TNtech (Post 3175033)
You may need to drive a couple days so the CARB monitors can complete.

Turns out the vin is recorded in the PCM. To pass emissions, that vin must match the registration. Had the PCM updated with my vin yesterday... I'll the get emissions tested on Monday.

TNtech 06-21-2014 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by fj5gtx (Post 3175456)
Turns out the vin is recorded in the PCM. To pass emissions, that vin must match the registration. Had the PCM updated with my vin yesterday... I'll the get emissions tested on Monday.

OK, sorry. I was under the impression you got the PCM from a reman place, which usually will input the VIN prior to shipment. My bad. Some emission testing centers, like the ones in my area, don't see the VIN other than when they look at the VIN plate.

fj5gtx 06-23-2014 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech (Post 3175488)
OK, sorry. I was under the impression you got the PCM from a reman place, which usually will input the VIN prior to shipment. My bad. Some emission testing centers, like the ones in my area, don't see the VIN other than when they look at the VIN plate.

No problem, passed emissions today! :)

learning experience...
1. the pcm is on the firewall, not under the fuse box
2. testing the wiring is worthwhile, before buying the second o2 sensor
3. used pcms are a viable option, they have a sticker that identifies the flash version
4. mileage isn't in the pcm, but the VIN is
5. In PA, the VIN is collected as data with emissions testing - you won't pass unless it matches your registration.

Now onto the next issue, persistent ABS problem (no matter which pcm is installed), I think a new thread will appear soon...

TNtech 06-23-2014 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by fj5gtx (Post 3176036)
No problem, passed emissions today! :)

learning experience...
1. the pcm is on the firewall, not under the fuse box
2. testing the wiring is worthwhile, before buying the second o2 sensor
3. used pcms are a viable option, they have a sticker that identifies the flash version
4. mileage isn't in the pcm, but the VIN is
5. In PA, the VIN is collected as data with emissions testing - you won't pass unless it matches your registration.

Now onto the next issue, persistent ABS problem (no matter which pcm is installed), I think a new thread will appear soon...

Mileage is stored in the PCM, BUT it is changeable with a factory scan tool. The Cluster also logs the mileage separately. It cannot be changed there though. The ability to look at both of these and compare is a valuable tool in discerning ODO tampering.

fj5gtx 06-23-2014 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech (Post 3176042)
Mileage is stored in the PCM, BUT it is changeable with a factory scan tool. The Cluster also logs the mileage separately. It cannot be changed there though. The ability to look at both of these and compare is a valuable tool in discerning ODO tampering.

Good to know, thanks! Hmmm..my scan tool did report the vin, wonder if it'll show pcm version of the mileage....

Curious... when the dealer flashes the pcm, can they make some minimal adjustments to the data/code that is present, or is it fill out a form and flash all entries?

What was strange, is when I got home from the dealer, I checked to see if all tests were complete for inspection - and they were. Seems like it should have taken more than just one 10 minute drive... made me think that the flash didn't clear the CARB monitor data. My scan tool showed the dealer did update my VIN.