3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

6.1L Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Stillborn
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.1L Hemi

When the 6.1L hemi comes out, do you think it'd be possible to drop one in a older [2003+] Ram?

Old 10-19-2005, 06:39 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 6.1L Hemi

ORIGINAL: Stillborn

When the 6.1L hemi comes out, do you think it'd be possible to drop one in a older [2003+] Ram?
I could put a 426 in it if I really wanted to.

If you are asking can you use all the same computer equipment, ect I would say no. I am sure it is different programming.

Old 10-20-2005, 12:23 AM
Avanti
Captain

As I've said before, nearly anything CAN be done if one is willing throw enough resources at it. If it is practical to do so is another issue, one only each individual can answer. So, sure you can put the engine in the truck. The issue would be getting all the electronics and such to do so with minimal hassles.

I've done a lot of engine swaps, most such swaps are more work than anticipated, even when well researched and planned out.

There are crate versions of the 5.7 liter, so I'd expect the same at some point for the 6.1. If and when that happens I'd also expect one version would be with all necessary electronics and generic fitment instructions.

All the best.

Old 11-06-2005, 01:40 PM
dehutzoo

6.1 L hemi? Ive never heard of this, when is this suppose to happen?

Thanks

Old 11-06-2005, 02:33 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: dehutzoo

Thanks

If you only read truck forums that is why you have not heard it. There are no trucks being offered with the 6.1 at this time.

6.1s are in SRT Chargers and 300s.

Old 11-06-2005, 06:04 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Save the money and get a turbo or S/C. It will be easier, cheaper, and more power for less money.

Old 11-08-2005, 03:42 PM
Avanti
Captain

Osteodoc:

As a driver of, and proponent of hi-hp vehicles of many types (boosted preferred), I agree, but there are those who sometimes prefer a simple, factory developed and proven "drop in" if available and don't want the potential hassles of the options you note. An example from another vehicle might illustrate. Let's say one has a C-5 Vette with an LS-1 engine and would like a little more umph, but with essentially a "factory" system (and the factory warranty, I might add). In this case, one might legitimately opt for a crate LS-6 swap. The beauty of this is that the electronics are well know by tuners and can readily be re-programmed appropriately on a wheel dyno.

Hence, the issue with the 6.1 hemi swap is solely one of electronics, since it is not offered in a truck and few seem to know anything meaningful about Chrysler's electronics, unlike those of other brands (such as GM and Ford). This has proven to be enough of an issue to delay Kenne Bell's twin-screw blower for the hemi.

Hope this add some clarification.

Thanks.

Old 11-08-2005, 03:54 PM
05_black_beast
Professional

What are the actual differences externally? Intake, block, heads, etc...It could possibly turn out to be a "drop-in" and a reflash if the only difference is the rotating assembly...Maybe? I haven't done the research on any of this.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:38 AM
stump_breaker
Captain

ORIGINAL: 94rt10ohio

ORIGINAL: dehutzoo

Thanks

If you only read truck forums that is why you have not heard it. There are no trucks being offered with the 6.1 at this time.

6.1s are in SRT Chargers and 300s.
Also in the 06 SRT Cherokee.....

Old 11-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Avanti
Captain

Stump_breaker:

Do you know if the Jeep application uses the part-time cylinder deactivation? I suppose so. If not, though, it might be one of the easiest swap options. Otherwise, I'd guess it would still take essentially everything from the new app to be sure it would all work right (i.e., engine control and tranny).

If I didn't have my next two project already mapped out (AFTER my wife's B'ville car), I'd give this some thought.

All the best.

Quick Reply: 6.1L Hemi