3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

oxygen sensor ??

Old 07-15-2014, 02:58 PM
mrbb1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oxygen sensor ??

Ok I recently had a new trans installed in an 06 2500 hemi/auto
since the install, been having issue's
one being I keep tripping an service engone code
that
reads stating I have a bad oxygen sensor( auto parts store read code for me, doesn't state what Oxygen sensor is bad, just that one is)
is there any chance these codes are being caused by the new trans ??

reason being, codes didbn';t happen till trans was installed
and I live in an emision state and my state inspection is due next month so have to solve issue ASAP
trans shp says . NO, no way for trans to cause issue's
none of the lines seem damaged oroff
so??
I am no tech, so any feed back would be welcome

Old 07-15-2014, 03:32 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Check the connectors. Plugged in, or maybe a plug was damaged during trans swap.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:40 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Maybe, but I'm not too convinced it's an O2 sensor. The code itself gives what O2 sensor is failing, ie: P0130 is a Bank 1 Sensor 1 failure, etc.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:46 PM
cd36c
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, something isn't adding up. As Hammer said, if there is an issue it usually states which bank and sensor. You need to get the actual code to be able to start diagnosing.

Alot of people think the codes tell you which sensor is causing an issue, which it isn't. It just tells you where the issue is reported. So just because it is an oxygen sensor related code coming up, it may not be caused by a failing oxygen sensor. An "oxygen sensor code" could be anything from a broken wire on the heater circuit, to a bad Catalytic Converter, to a bad oxygen sensor.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:56 PM
mrbb1
Professional

OK thanks, the guys at the auto parts store, theer reader didn't say much, just that it was an oxtgen sensor issue

I checked the connections and all are solid, cannot see any damage to any wores either, as I was thinking maybe something was pinched or??? from the trans install
but if I have code re set as soon as motor starts it trips again, and here that is a 100% failure on state inspection, so have to have solved
auto parts stpre suggested I het a dealership up, stating there code reader will pin point the code/issue"
just dropepd like 4500 on this truck, so trying to nOT spend any more than needed
but?
any idea what would cause a OX sensor to fail ??

Old 07-15-2014, 05:35 PM
cd36c
Professional

Again, until you can get the P code number for what tripped the MIL, I wouldn't go off of what the parts store says. I have a couple of code readers, and one is a basic $15 thing I bought at a local discount tool store, and even it tells you the P code number of what failed, so theirs should too.

They aren't mechanics and just want to sell you parts, so if it says something related to oxygen sensor, they'll tell you to just replace your oxygen sensor with their $100 sensor and away you go, they don't care if it is actually the problem. I wouldn't trust what they said until you can get the actual number of the code. Try another store, or go back and tell them you want the number. It'll be something like P0131, or P0138.

It seems odd that it trips the code immediately, as your ECU doesn't even listen to the oxygen sensor until it is warmed up, and even then once warmed up most O2 codes take a while to trigger, they aren't instant (for example it takes a couple minutes of constant low voltage to trigger a P0131).

And oxygen sensors can fail for a variety of issues, most of the time they just wear out though. They aren't tough to replace and are relatively cheap.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:13 PM
tantofolder
Professional

You can read your own codes by following the instructions here:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...code-list.html

Old 07-15-2014, 09:32 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by mrbb1
OK thanks, the guys at the auto parts store, theer reader didn't say much, just that it was an oxtgen sensor issue

I checked the connections and all are solid, cannot see any damage to any wores either, as I was thinking maybe something was pinched or??? from the trans install
but if I have code re set as soon as motor starts it trips again, and here that is a 100% failure on state inspection, so have to have solved
auto parts stpre suggested I het a dealership up, stating there code reader will pin point the code/issue"
just dropepd like 4500 on this truck, so trying to nOT spend any more than needed
but?
any idea what would cause a OX sensor to fail ??
Yeah....its 8 years old. They wear out like other parts

Old 07-16-2014, 11:12 AM
mrbb1
Professional

thanks guys
I understand things wear out, part of life on vehicles for sure
BUT two yrs ago, when they did my emissions test, I was borderline pasing, so, I had a tune up done at the dodge dealer, and had them replace all 4 O2 sensors, as was suggested to help with ???
so, they are only like 2 yrs old
NOT saying a 2 yr old part cannot fail, sure it happens
but was wondering more about if the enw trans had anything to do with one going
and
since both auto parts dealers said there was no code number showing on reader??
and to be honest they wanted like 30 or 40 bucks an 02 sensor, and did say, it might NOT be the issue
they really didn't push me to buy anything? seemed they too were confused by what really was wrong?

so, asking NOW
would a dodge dealers reader be more specific in details
would it actually tell me, what sensor is bad, or if its not a sensor, something else
as I called my local dealer, and they said they charge for a reading??
didn't say how much, but that there is a charge for the reading??
and I don't really wnat to be paying them if there not going to be able to tell me more specific info
as if I have to replace parts till I find the right one, no point in paying more to get same results?
any help suggestions are much appreciated
and thanks for all so far!

Old 07-16-2014, 11:17 AM
mrbb1
Professional

Originally Posted by tantofolder
You can read your own codes by following the instructions here:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...code-list.html
OK I have done this, and right now my check engine light is on, so something has to have tripped it
BUT If I do the key thing
it attempts to ?? I get a readding that just says DONE
no codes again
so not sure again WHY, no codes are showing,as there is a check engine light on, that comes on after its reset, within almost a minute of truck running
yet NO cods show up
just reads DONE??
so, what does that mean?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oxygen sensor ??