3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No coil boots/dust caps for the 4.7?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 12:32 PM
Buggsy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No coil boots/dust caps for the 4.7?

Hi all. Long story short, my engine got wet from a car wash. No problems until hours later when I went to start it. I got a p0302 code, so I stopped and picked up a new coil. I jumped right to the coil because I've had this on again, off again loping/stumbling idle problem at start up without ever giving me a code. I figured it was from moisture and that the boot was cracked or defective. I pulled the boot and found it pretty went. I also pulled the spark plug but it was fine, however the socket was also wet. I ultimately replaced the coil anyway but not before comparing the too parts. The new coil has a some kind of a dust cap on top that fits over the spark plug well. Not one of the other coils has this. I was temped to replace the other 7 just for this, but I don't want to spend $130 just because of the dust cover I never knew about before.

Firstly, were factory coils installed this way or did someone in the past remove this dust cover?
Secondly, is there really no sort of "boot kit" for these coils that has the dust/water cover?

Thanks.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:44 PM
Tasca Dodge Parts
Former Vendor

Odds are someone noticed an issue at some point and the part was redesigned, happens all the time.

-Steve

Old 08-21-2014, 02:35 PM
Buggsy
Professional

Originally Posted by Tasca Dodge Parts
Odds are someone noticed an issue at some point and the part was redesigned, happens all the time.

-Steve
Yeah, I thought that at first, but there is a "groove" on my other coils where the cap sits on the new one. I'm not even sure these are all factory coils either, I'm the third or fourth owner.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I experienced a similar issue and discovered bad orings on the coils. Replaced the orings and used a liberal amount of dielectric grease. No problems since.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:25 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yes there are boots for the coils.I have gone through enough coils to know this. Probably what happened is someone changed out the coils, When they pulled the coil out but the boot stayed on the spark plug. Unfortunately you have to get that off so the socket will sit on the sparkplug right. It is P.I.T.A ! They probably didn't want to go through that again and left them off. You found out why they are there the hard way. You should be able to go to autozone and just by the boots. I know they sell them at orielly auto parts. GOOD LUCK!

Old 04-21-2018, 08:34 PM
clswitzer

Anyone know of a third party company that make a plastic cover that covers the spark plug wells on the 4.7 like those one many of the newer LS engines? I would love to have something to keep all the water and junk out of the spark plug wells..That sure would cure a lot of problems for us.

Quick Reply: No coil boots/dust caps for the 4.7?