3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Has anyone switched from an auto trans to 6spd?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 09:31 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's an electronic transfercase you MIGHT lose 4x4 with the trans swap... Can't promise that the 4x4 lever and actuator on the manual transfercase is the same for the auto as the manual transmission so that might still pose a problem.

PCM will be the biggest issue b/c it will be looking for those sensors...

Next issue could be the rev. limiter... auto transmissions don't allow revs beyond 4k...

Next issue would be having to swap out the entire pedal assembly and install all the new slave and master cylinders for the clutch and figure out how to route all the lines you'll need.

It's a TON of work on newer trucks... but It's probably do-able, just won't be very cost effective...

Personally I'd trade my truck in for a manual before I took on that major headache.. but if you do do it make a thread and keep us all updated b/c that would be very cool!

Old 08-29-2014, 11:49 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own a hemi 6 so manual...06 2500...bought new on a factory order...Sadly, Chrysler sold me the last truck I will buy..

I love the 6 sp manual But F Chrysler for all the Dodge quirks I felt with over the years...

Hemi 6 sp are geared low, great for towing, crawling off road, their not built for rapid acceleration. .ie SRT manuals..

For the manual transmission fans. .I Honestly think converting a automatic to a manual is not worth the trouble AS owners do not want to part ways with 3 pedals. .

8 speed automatic transmission with a dial not gonna own that garbage.
Let Chrysler know theirs intrest for manuals in a hemi ram, eco disease ..LOL..typo..

Old 09-02-2014, 09:56 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclone429
I own a hemi 6 so manual...06 2500...bought new on a factory order...Sadly, Chrysler sold me the last truck I will buy..

I love the 6 sp manual But F Chrysler for all the Dodge quirks I felt with over the years...

Hemi 6 sp are geared low, great for towing, crawling off road, their not built for rapid acceleration. .ie SRT manuals..

For the manual transmission fans. .I Honestly think converting a automatic to a manual is not worth the trouble AS owners do not want to part ways with 3 pedals. .

8 speed automatic transmission with a dial not gonna own that garbage.
Let Chrysler know theirs intrest for manuals in a hemi ram, eco disease ..LOL..typo..

Then you better not buy any of these brands either... b/c they use pretty much the same transmission....

Audi
Bentley
BMW
Chrysler
Dodge
Jaguar
Jeep
Lancia
Land Rover
Maserati
Ram Trucks
Rolls-Royce
Volkswagen

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

Quick Reply: Has anyone switched from an auto trans to 6spd?