3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.7 or 6.1L engine Swap to a 2002 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 07:08 PM
jefferyallison
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.7 or 6.1L engine Swap to a 2002 Ram

I have a 2002 Ram 1500 4x4 that I bought new, and now has 110K miles on it. I love my truck and have NO interest in finding (and repairing) a newer model. I do however want/need a lot more power, I am thinking of doing a Hemi swap into my truck.

Has anyone already done this? I ran a few searches and found links for 2nd Gen. swaps, but nothing for the 2002 360 Gas engine.

If this swap is already old news, could someone post a link to the thread.

If not, I am looking for info on Trans bolt up ( I have an Auto), motor mounts, ecm programing and available wire harnesses or details on how to reuse a factory harness, finally will a 03'-04' oil pan work on the 02'? I suspect that the oil pan will fit, but I have never looked to see if the 03-04' 1500s have the same suspension.

Thanks for your input.

Jeff

Old 09-04-2014, 10:50 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will a donor vehicle that has engine and trans (hemi will not bolt to a 46RE), full harness and computer modules plus pedal. There are several swaps in 02's from a 4.7 to 5.7, but those are easier since the 4.7 module/harness is much more similar to the 5.7 than a 360. Why don't you just build the 360?

Old 09-05-2014, 09:29 AM
jefferyallison

Thanks for replying.

I have looked at rebuilding the 360 a few times. The heads seem to be the biggest problem, then getting enough fuel and air into them. I figure by the time I pull the engine, rebuild the bottom end, add a good set of heads, cam, and valve train, then add a bigger, programable fuel injection system, I will have more money tied up into the 360 than a hemi swap would cost. Of course you have pointed out that I will need a new trans too, so that will affect costs.

I suspect when I was all done with the 360 I could have a little more hp/tq than a stock hemi does but I am not sure how reliably?

I talked with vortech a few years ago, they had a kit for the 360 that added an extra injector to the throttle body to get extra fuel into the system, but said the manifold was a big restriction. Their kit added about 85hp and 75tq but cost nearly $3k. Who know where the fuel mileage would be either?

The hemi swap seems to be a way to gain hp/tq and possibly mpg?

Old 09-06-2014, 08:51 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dunno about mpg...I have a modified truck and my mileage is **** lol.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:38 AM
jefferyallison

Well, I am just being really hopeful.

I currently have headers, a cold air intake, aftermarket cads, 2.5" exhuast & magniflow muffler, and e3 plugs. I added each piece as needed or as money allowed, but I now get 15.5 on the highway empty (11-12 when towing), almost as good as the sticker claimed when I bought the truck. It would probably be slightly better without the lift and on factory size tires, but where's the fun in that.

Quick Reply: 5.7 or 6.1L engine Swap to a 2002 Ram