3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 ram 4x4 rack and pinion issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 09:54 PM
edwilliamson1985
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 ram 4x4 rack and pinion issue

Hello everyone.

I recently traveled to my hunting camp for the weekend to do some work. I drove in Friday night parked my truck and, didn't touch it until tonight. I fired it up to move it over to the door to pack up and my power steering was humming. I suspected it to be low on fluid, which it was completely empty which made me concerned. So being fairly handy I crawled under the truck to investigate and, seen the pool of power steering fluid and noticed it was dripping from up top. I filled the pump up to the cold line and let it run. I then crawled back underneath the truck and, noticed the boot on the rack was dripping. So I moved my hand over to where it was dripping from and, moved the boot and it poured out. I once again got out from under the truck filled the pump back up and checked the lines up top because it was leaking from the top somewhere too. I let it warm up and I turned the wheels back and forth a few times and checked again and noticed that the power steering fluid was coming back out the top of the pump under the cap.

Now my questions are. Is there a seal behind the boot on the rack and pinion that would cause the boot to fill up with power steering fluid? My other question is. Could it cause an air lock or something in the system to make the fluid run back out the top of the pump from under the cap?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm stumped I know I don't want to drive it unless its necessary because I drove 300 Kilometers and I used 6 liters of power steering fluid to make it home.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate all responses

Ed

Last edited by edwilliamson1985; 09-06-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:38 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

There are seals. Sounds like it's time for a new rack.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:07 PM
edwilliamson1985

damn i didnt want to hear that but oh well i guess it is what it is thanks for the input ill start pricing them out

Old 09-07-2014, 05:53 PM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah.....new rack needed.
Don't go for the cheap stuff either.
Go OEM Mopar. I've read a lot of reports of re manufactured and no name brand racks being rubbish!
Al.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:19 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by abarmby
Yeah.....new rack needed.
Don't go for the cheap stuff either.
Go OEM Mopar. I've read a lot of reports of re manufactured and no name brand racks being rubbish!
Al.
What Al said. Seen the reman'd ones from Autozone start leaking in less than 1000 miles. Yeah, they'll replace it but that's a sh*tload of labor to go through...

Quick Reply: 02 ram 4x4 rack and pinion issue