3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

545RFE stalling 4.7 Liter

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 11:04 PM
Jacob Boyd Bauer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 545RFE stalling 4.7 Liter

Every once in a while (on cold days, or very hot days) when I come to a complete stop while in drive, the engine will struggle to keep running, and will die unless I shift out of gear before it does. It really feels like it's being lugged down, which makes me believe that one of the clutch packs isn't disengaging (most likely first as it usually happens in heavy traffic, or in parking lots). Anyone offer advice on this problem?

Old 11-06-2014, 02:55 AM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by Jacob Boyd Bauer
Every once in a while (on cold days, or very hot days) when I come to a complete stop while in drive, the engine will struggle to keep running, and will die unless I shift out of gear before it does. It really feels like it's being lugged down, which makes me believe that one of the clutch packs isn't disengaging (most likely first as it usually happens in heavy traffic, or in parking lots). Anyone offer advice on this problem?
Have you checked the transmission for fluid levels?
Low can give stalling issues.
Also, when was the auto box last serviced.
Al

Old 11-06-2014, 07:28 AM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran

Sounds like your torque converter is going out. Happened on my old Durango. Take it to a trans shop and have them connect their reader up to it and take it for a spin.

SJ03

Quick Reply: 545RFE stalling 4.7 Liter