3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Blend door confusion

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 07:42 PM
bigbirch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blend door confusion

1. 2008 Dodge Ram hemi quad
2. I have done a search of this problem and have read a lot!
3. I have bought and received the heatertreater repair set of doors. Here are my questions/ problems.

No heat on driver side...plenty on passenger vents
Defrost is pretty warm
Very little blowing when set to feet..continues to blow defrost
Recirc door is fine

I brought to shop with my concerns b4 doing my research. They changed thermostat and flushed system...did nothing to solve problem.

I figured on doing it myself, but the dash is different from the vids I have seen. My dash seems to be 1 piece and taking the bottom portion out seems impossible w/o taking the entire dash out to get to blend doors. Am I missing something?

Also the blend door actuator seems to operate 2 things, but the kit only came with one. I do not have dual control. Are there 2 separate doors there? One above and one below the core? If so, the bottom which I can get to seems fine.

I normally am a doityourselfer for all things but I am worried about taking the entire dash out. I have also found (from reading) that many blame these issues on a clogged or air locked heater core.

I trust my mechanic, and he says he doesn't think it is a clog and it would be 4.5 hrs labor to pull it apart. I would hate to spend that $ just to be told that I have new doors all around but the problem is not fixed...

Any suggestions / advice...I am fried!
Cheers!

Old 11-13-2014, 09:39 AM
Melhuishpa
Amateur

It sounds like one of your mode doors is broken. HT only give you 4 of the doors. One of the blend doors is slaved to the other and apparently there are no issues with the slaved door. I'd recommend removal of the HVAC box to replace the doors. You can't readily get to one of the mode doors to replace it anyway.

Here are some pics of what breaks and the disassembled dash:

Get the instructions to remove the HVAC box by following the instructions for replacing the evaporator core. I would replace the heater core too. You should also consider replacing the accumulator.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:45 PM
bigbirch

[QUOTE=Melhuishpa;3207778]It sounds like one of your mode doors is broken. HT only give you 4 of the doors. One of the blend doors is slaved to the other and apparently there are no issues with the slaved door. I'd recommend removal of the HVAC box to replace the doors. You can't readily get to one of the mode doors to replace it anyway.

Thanks for the slave door info and the pics. The disassembled dash is exactly what I needed to see. I am no mechanic, but can usually figure most things out. Is there any rough spots u could give me heads up about when removing the dash? In your opinion, is it something a novice could attempt?
Cheers!

I will also check out the link!

Old 11-14-2014, 08:11 AM
Melhuishpa
Amateur

Here is a picture of the disassembled dash from the drivers' side:

First, this is a job. It's not hard-just time consuming. But, it can be intimidating if you do not have the background. You will also need a few special A/C tools, notably a spring clamp tool to take the lines off of the evaporator core. If you lack the tools to discharge and recharge the A/C, you'll need to have that done.

You can get the instructions on the removal of the HVAC box from a factory service manual. This probably isn't kosher, but here is a link to instructions with pictures in another forum: http://www.turbodieselregister.com/t...vac%20pictures. All 3rd gens are pretty much alike to take apart.

If you go to the HT website, I believe that they also have some advice and instructions. I believe that they also have instructions on testing the operation of the doors prior to disassembly so that you know what you're looking for. However, the doors breaking in the manner shown in the pictures is a fairly common issue.

Here is another link that may help you: http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d....html?t=210483.

Good luck. If this isn't something that you've attempted before, I'd plan on it taking 5-8 hours. If you follow the instructions, step by step, and take your time, you should be ok.

Here is another picture of the broken door in a disassembled box:

Old 11-20-2014, 07:20 PM
bigbirch

Thanks..your info will be very helpful. I truly appreciate the pics, links and info! Thanks again for taking the time!
Cheers

Quick Reply: Blend door confusion