3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 Ram won't start, no guages, no trip computer.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 03:49 PM
Glenshadow
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. Doesn't the 2003 TIPM consist of the Power Distribution Center (entire fuse block), and the Forward Control Module which mounts to the side of the PDC ?

I replaced both. The PDC was obviously bad as traces were corroded off the board (see pics), and the FCM didn't change anything when replacing.

Anyhow, I had it towed to my buddy's shop today as I am at the point of done with it. There isn't much I can't do.. but with freezing rain and other crap weather, along with he has more resources than me.... I just rather have him work on it. In the quick 10 minutes that he looked at it, he jumped the starter directly and it cranked, turned key on and would not start. This tells him it is before the starting circuit, so he has an idea of where to look next when he can finally pull it in a bay.

I will update this thread with the final solution so it will help anyone else with this kind of problem. This is for sure not one of the problems that is easily solved via Google search.

Lastly, this is funny.. check out how small the tow truck looks.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:29 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what's the little green truck looking thing there?

Old 12-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Glenshadow
Amateur

That is my trail rig.
85 Toyota 4 Runner that I put a '99 Vortec 4.3/4L60E in. Locked f/r with 5.29's and 4.3:1 in the case, linked rear, and much, much more. I built it from the ground up myself.

That is my go pretty much anywhere rig that keeps me from abusing my Ram like I did my old 2000 Ram.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenshadow
That is my trail rig.
85 Toyota 4 Runner that I put a '99 Vortec 4.3/4L60E in. Locked f/r with 5.29's and 4.3:1 in the case, linked rear, and much, much more. I built it from the ground up myself.

That is my go pretty much anywhere rig that keeps me from abusing my Ram like I did my old 2000 Ram.
Gotta say it looks pretty freakin cool...

Old 12-12-2014, 05:23 PM
Glenshadow
Amateur

So the verdict is in..... truck = running again.

The last thing I was looking at, but unable to get apart was the large connector on drivers side (I think C-130). I was going to check it for corrosion, but the nut was rounded off. Buddy got it opened up after he traced some things out and it was corroded inside. He cleaned it up and found some pins that actually corroded and fell off. He bypassed them and then got it to crank up and run now. Thankfully won't cost me much at all (less than $200) including the towing.

I am going to get a ride over to his shop tonight or tomorrow and put it all back together to save time.

So I had multiple things that were corroded.... that plug, and the whole Power Distro Center.

Hopefully this helps someone else down the road with this sort of problem. The trip computer still says 130 degree's, so that must mean the ambient temp sensor went bad in this whole process..... or... there is something else.

I will have to look and see if I can find a replacement kit for that plug, or if in typical Chrysler fashion it will be "entire new wire harness".

This is pic of that connector... blurry because I didn't take it and he slings wrenches, not camera's for a living.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:34 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank You for this post, its getting rare these days that people seeking info, actually also give it back, So "SINCERELY" Thank You. I believe that I am about to go through the same situation with an 05 1 ton I have and Hopefully, the very same reasons. The over head info center gives me problems occasionally. Also, problems with the charging system on startup occasionally

Old 12-12-2014, 08:02 PM
joebaum
Professional

Originally Posted by Glenshadow
So the verdict is in..... truck = running again.

The last thing I was looking at, but unable to get apart was the large connector on drivers side (I think C-130). I was going to check it for corrosion, but the nut was rounded off. Buddy got it opened up after he traced some things out and it was corroded inside. He cleaned it up and found some pins that actually corroded and fell off. He bypassed them and then got it to crank up and run now. Thankfully won't cost me much at all (less than $200) including the towing.

I am going to get a ride over to his shop tonight or tomorrow and put it all back together to save time.

So I had multiple things that were corroded.... that plug, and the whole Power Distro Center.

Hopefully this helps someone else down the road with this sort of problem. The trip computer still says 130 degree's, so that must mean the ambient temp sensor went bad in this whole process..... or... there is something else.

I will have to look and see if I can find a replacement kit for that plug, or if in typical Chrysler fashion it will be "entire new wire harness".

This is pic of that connector... blurry because I didn't take it and he slings wrenches, not camera's for a living.

Thank you
It's very seldom ( almost never ) anyone follows thru . I'm sure this will help many .

Old 12-12-2014, 11:59 PM
Glenshadow
Amateur

It's all good guys. I found the exact same scenario when I was searching on the site and many others about this problem.

I have my own truck forums and have been around for years helping others on all kinda sites. (PavementSucks.com among others)

I rarely even look at my own forums..... but I know the importance of sharing the knowledge.

Thanks to all that assisted in any way, shape, or form.

FYI.. I had MAJOR wood driving home tonight.... in my own truck again ! hahahahaha

Old 12-13-2014, 12:14 AM
Glenshadow
Amateur

Oh yeah.... my Overhead did finally figure it's self out today when I got to shop. I am thinking it needed to learn it's self again.

For the record... I put the original FCM back in... when I got there my buddy had swapped in the spare and it was working, but I went back to my own and it was all good. Also the new computer is in at the moment. I am going to swap in the old computer (that I cracked open) real quick, so I can recover my Hypertech programming... then I will put the new one back in and program that one up with Hypertech.

My buddy ended up having to print up the schematic from Snap-On's Shop Key... then had to start tracing. I have a degree in electronics engineering and design.. and I still couldn't read those fuzzy/badly drawn schematics.

Anyhow. Glad to share this info... hope it saves someone else a ton of $. My cost + towing was $150. (I also provide IT support for my buddy at no charge... so yeah)

Just FYI....
Power Distribution Center = $500

Main Computer = $500 +200 core (Need programmed with your VIN and Mileage)

Front Control Module = $500 (Dealer claims that it needs programmed.. in fact does NOT)

Just beware, the dealer told me flat out... "ANYTHING computer related needs to be programmed to your vehicle." - This is NOT the case at all. Just beware.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:04 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealers will try to suck blood from a turnip sometimes if they thought they could make money on it.

Quick Reply: 03 Ram won't start, no guages, no trip computer.