3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2008 5.7L Hemi 2WD - TPSM - No signal from a tire

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 12:54 PM
kjclark1974
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 5.7L Hemi 2WD - TPSM - No signal from a tire

Each year when the weather turns cold and my tire pressure changes, the stupid TPS light comes on. Each year, we re-inflate the tires back up to 42 PSI and each year the light goes off - until now. Now, the darn light won't go off to save my life. I live in South Georgia near the Florida line.

This morning, I took the truck by my favorite local tire shop for my annual rotate and balance. The guys got all the tires back on and put their little test machine near each tire to reprogram them to their new position. However, one of the tires wouldn't give off a signal at all - the rear right. It had been the rear right (last year before my rotate and balance) that had been the trouble-maker. It was lower than the rest. Now, that it's back in its old position, it's making trouble, again. Except, this time, it's not giving off a signal at all.

The tire shop had the replacement sensor and installed it, put the tire back on the truck - still no signal from that tire. He took it back off, put my old sensor back on - no charge (they're so nice) - and suggested I take it to the Dodge place. For some unknown reason, we cannot get a signal from that tire - new sensor, old sensor - it doesn't matter.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:21 PM
scwpd
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did they test the new sensor before they put it on to verify it was working

Old 12-14-2014, 06:58 AM
kjclark1974
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Only Options - Really?!

After a few days, I finally was able to get it in at the local Dodge dealer. I was told I needed a new sensor. I was also told it was basically a dealer-only item because the new sensor had to be programmed with my VIN or it wouldn't work. The only plus was that I'd called the dealer before about getting the part only and was quoted a lower price than what they tried to charge me, so I was able to make them stand by the lower price $68.46 versus $81.00. We will see if this fixes my problem in the morning. Fingers crossed. Only thing is I'm looking at three more sensors as each of the others' batteries begin to fail. At $150.00 per wheel, (parts and labor) you would think they'd come up with a less expensive solution - or not, I guess.

Turns out the dealer's machine could get a reading from the bad sensor. Regardless of tire pressure, it was sending a reading of 76 ppi. Will update after tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 2008 5.7L Hemi 2WD - TPSM - No signal from a tire