3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 Dodge Ram Reliable Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 12:42 PM
wildauto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dodge Ram Reliable Build

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum but not new to these trucks for the very lease. I own a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 with 205K on it and finally the motor is starting to give me problems like rough idle, dies out, the lovely oil pressure light etc.... So im stuck here on either tearing down the motor or buying a new truck.

Honsetly im thinking of tearing the motor out and starting with the fresh crate engine with a 3 year 100k mile warranty. However, as most of you know im not going to leave a fresh motor alone

So, my question is if you had a brand new short block 4.7 in front of you what would you do it. Be specfic as i am looking for ideas for long term and longevity for this truck. it is my work horse. I use it for snow plowing, hauling, long trips for business. It has never left me in a bad place and intend do repay the favor.

I am intreasted in a good camshaft, set of heads, possibly long tube headers but i can't honstely find anything on the net currently other the acouple sites.

Can anyone help me out ?

Old 02-19-2015, 12:47 PM
wildauto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-19-2015, 01:08 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wildauto
Hey guys,

I am new to the forum but not new to these trucks for the very lease. I own a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 with 205K on it and finally the motor is starting to give me problems like rough idle, dies out, the lovely oil pressure light etc.... So im stuck here on either tearing down the motor or buying a new truck.

Honsetly im thinking of tearing the motor out and starting with the fresh crate engine with a 3 year 100k mile warranty. However, as most of you know im not going to leave a fresh motor alone

So, my question is if you had a brand new short block 4.7 in front of you what would you do it. Be specfic as i am looking for ideas for long term and longevity for this truck. it is my work horse. I use it for snow plowing, hauling, long trips for business. It has never left me in a bad place and intend do repay the favor.

I am intreasted in a good camshaft, set of heads, possibly long tube headers but i can't honstely find anything on the net currently other the acouple sites.

Can anyone help me out ?
airram.com will be your best friend with this engine. As for cam, there are 2, so double that cost, plus you have to find some or get them custom ground. Heads will respond to P&P like any other. You should be able to custom tune that year, but at the very least you can Superchips it. Not sure if headers are available any more. You can build an older 4.7 to almost act like the 08+ 4.7 (with 310hp), just gonna take some work and $$.

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge Ram Reliable Build