3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

So I took it to a transmission shop...need some advise

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 08:25 AM
Dave M
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I took it to a transmission shop...need some advice

I've been having some intermittent problems with my transmission 07 1500 4wd, 119k miles. Some slipping, 3-5 seconds to shift from park to drive/reverse, and wouldn't shift out of 3rd one day. The shop came recommended from a good friend who is a mechanic. Let me start by saying I know nothing about transmissions. The guy scanned it and says something to the affect of lost prime, low pump pressure, shift ratios off. He couldn't drop the pan because he didn't have an available lift. He said low pressure is not a good thing and usually doesn't end well. I'm going back on Monday and he is going to drop the pan. He can change the torque converter and some solenoids for $650, but he can't guarantee the rest of transmission. He also said when he drops the pan he will know more, like if he finds pieces of the clutch in there it would then become a complete rebuild for $2000. My question is should I just go straight for the complete rebuild, regardless of what the pan and fluid look like? I do some towing with the truck and intend to keep it for a while.

Last edited by Dave M; 02-28-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:13 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

2nd Prime is basically OD. Low oil pressure is what it is, low oil itself, weak front pump, worn parts, blockages (filter?), ect.

In the end, yes, it sounds like rebuild time. If it is slipping, expect burnt clutches.

Quick Reply: So I took it to a transmission shop...need some advise