3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Aauugh! Can't Get My Dots In A Row!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 10:53 PM
RedRaider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aauugh! Can't Get My Dots In A Row!

I've replaced the timing chain and sprockets but can't get the timing marks lined up. The first pic shows the position when I took the old set off. The second shot shows the position of the new chain and sprockets after installing. That's the closest to them being lined up perfectly plumb that I have been able to get.

The crank sprocket is a little left of the vertical line in both pics, but maybe a little more so in the new install.

Do they have to be on a perfect vertical plane? If so, any tips that might help me do it?

Attached Thumbnails Aauugh! Can't Get My Dots In A Row!-image.jpg  
Old 03-25-2015, 10:54 PM
RedRaider

Here's the second pic. The one of the new timing set.

I deleted this one. the correct one is a couple of replies below.

Last edited by RedRaider; 03-26-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:27 AM
p38251
Record Breaker

Have you tried starting over. Reset to TDC.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:02 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

They should line up when you have the drive side slack out...right side.

Where the heck is the lower mark in the second pic???

Last edited by TNtech; 03-26-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:42 PM
RedRaider

Thanks for the replies guys. I hope I don't have start over that way, 'cause I really don't understand about TDC and how to do it. Ill learn if I have to though.

TNtech, when you say "when you have the drive side slack out", that sounds like there is another step that I have missed. Like a final adjustment or something after I get the stuff put on. How do I do that? Makes me wonder about something I noticed when installing the set...when I turned the crank a little to the right and lined the dots up perfectly I couldnt get the cam sprocket on. Like the chain was too tight. But I guess that's how it needs to be, huh?

Are you talking about that green paint mark on the end of the crank? I don't know what that's for. Maybe from an earlier repair?

And I uploaded the wrong pic for number 2. Its hard to see the dots in that one so I enhanced them in this pic:

Attached Thumbnails Aauugh! Can't Get My Dots In A Row!-tc2cw.jpg  

Last edited by RedRaider; 03-26-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:24 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

I don't understand how you can get the timing right. If number one is not TDC. You cannot line the marks up. The timing will be off.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:48 PM
RedRaider

Okay, P38251, I guess I don't understand what you're saying. Sorry. Do you mean I have to bring #1 to TDC by, say, taking out spark plug and turning crank until I see the piston reach top of stroke and look at dist. rotor position, etc? I was under the impression that just by lining up the dots on the sprockets number one would then be at TDC. So that's what I did. Lined em up, took off old stuff, kept crank and cam in same position and then installed new set. Please explain what you mean by "...starting over. Reset to TDC" and then I'll leave you alone. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:05 AM
p38251
Record Breaker

Ok, your good. I was confused at your starting point. Sorry if I confused you.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:50 PM
RedRaider

Nah, wasn't you. I pretty much stay confused when I'm doin somethin like this and I don't have a clue. I'm glad I'm able to take my time and wait 'til I find the answer before continuing on though. I'll eventually figger it out. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:34 AM
RedRaider

One last question P38. I think I just snapped to something. When talking about lining up the timing marks, do you do the crank and cam sprocket SEPARATELY without the timing chain on them? Get them on a perfect line and THEN take em off, put chain around em and put back on? Sorry to keep buggin you, but I can't find a definitive "for dummies" answer. FSM has nothing on the actual technique of lining them up. Neither does AllData. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Aauugh! Can't Get My Dots In A Row!