3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help fix this rams tailgate! Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 02:50 PM
team_realtree
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help fix this rams tailgate! Pics

Name:  IMG_1891.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  119.4 KB

If that picture shows up you can see the famous 3rd gen ram rust on the bottom of the tail gate. There is also one spot on the left side half way up I already attempted to fix a year ago.

How would you go about fixing this or is it a lost cause? There is still tons of nice looking bright white paint on there just these annoying patches of rust.

I was thinking it almost might be better to sand down the whole bottom portion below that body line and repaint that with a rattle can color matched paint? Then maybe use a paint stick for that small spot on the left side?

Old 05-18-2015, 06:47 PM
chuck_hammer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am NOT a professional ,,

but Rust must be completely removed.. sand/grind/cut out..

primmer paint, color paint, clear paint....

any other way is a temperature fix.. at best.. 1 to 2 years. will return quickly

I am facing the same thing with my 04...
tailgate, doors, upper side to bed sides. thanks Chrysler for killing my 7 year rust protection....
started rusting at 5 years. that is right, No longer in business .

I have LOST so many good vehicles to OHIO SALT. in 45 years.

Last edited by chuck_hammer; 05-18-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:17 PM
Kevno6
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Battled the same thing a few years back. Nothing will stop it because you will not be able to get all the rust because it's also on the inside of tailgate. Ebay $350 for painted one shipped. If you get another one that is not original use rubber under coating on inside lip by bumper they rust no matter how well they are painted. My 2 cents

Quick Reply: Help fix this rams tailgate! Pics