3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Are the V6 9.25 Rear Diffs the same as the Hemi 9.25?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 03:49 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Are the V6 9.25 Rear Diffs the same as the Hemi 9.25?

My rear axle is on its way out and I'm considering the easiest option (in my opinion) to fix the problem.

Just wanted to confirm my suspicions that a 9.25 differential from an 02 V6 Ram would be the same as a 04 Hemi Ram diff. I'd assume they are of the same strength and same parts internally?

I'm buying one tomorrow for $250 from a junkyard and I figure this is faster and easier than rebuilding mine that has spider gear teeth floating around inside and bad bearings.

Back in March I shaved off my spider gears, I cleaned the differential case out of what I thought was all of the debris & then replaced the gears. Then a week later after mudding, I had my ABS light on and speedo being slightly jumpy and cruise control working choppy. Went to check my brakes out in the rear and noticed that my axle pulled out as I was taking the brake rotor off. I then took the cover off to find that the US General Pin had been bent & sheared off the pin bolt and spun and had allowed the axles to go into the stupid machining dimple in the replacement pin and throw the c-clips.

The pin was bent so bad that I had to cut the spider gears and pin out completely out of the differential with a cutting torch. After this replacement my rear axle howled and made a whirling sound, not the biggest of deal but then in the last month its been making intermittent grinding noises. I'm done working on a differential in my daily driver so I'm going to buy a junkyard diff for what I believe will be minimal downtime and most cost effective route. At this point in my life I have more faith in a junkyard diff than my lack of experience in getting a crush sleeve on a pinion right.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 07-14-2015 at 03:52 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:51 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, is the same. You can use any 9.25 Chrysler Corporate (AAM) 12 bolt rear from '01-'09...

Quick Reply: Are the V6 9.25 Rear Diffs the same as the Hemi 9.25?