3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'02 1500 transmission slips during left turn

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 10:05 AM
HappyDodger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 1500 transmission slips during left turn

Hey guys new here. Happy to be back in a dodge again, been about four years to long. Picked it up a week ago, transmission fluid/filter has been changed and a/c fan has been changed.
Quick rundown of my truck so y'all will know what I'm working with. 2002 Ram 1500 Sport 5.9ltr QC 131000 miles. I don't know any of the service history except what I mentioned above. I'm going to change the plugs within the next few days, going with autolite as that seems to be the favorite on here.

My problem is anytime I turn left, no matter the speed my transmission seems to slip or go out of gear and as soon as I straighten back out it gets back in gear. If I'm on the gas this is a very hard hit, and can't be healthy. I've learned to coast through the turns then get back on the gas once I've straightened out. I had this same problem in my Dodge Dakota, but I sold it not long after so I never bothered with it. I can't fathom what would cause this problem, so all input is greatly appreciated.

Also is there anything I should be on the lookout for from the 5.9? My brother had one in his 98 and it was solid as a rock until the day he sold it with 222000 on it.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:22 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by HappyDodger
Hey guys new here. Happy to be back in a dodge again, been about four years to long. Picked it up a week ago, transmission fluid/filter has been changed and a/c fan has been changed.
Quick rundown of my truck so y'all will know what I'm working with. 2002 Ram 1500 Sport 5.9ltr QC 131000 miles. I don't know any of the service history except what I mentioned above. I'm going to change the plugs within the next few days, going with autolite as that seems to be the favorite on here.

My problem is anytime I turn left, no matter the speed my transmission seems to slip or go out of gear and as soon as I straighten back out it gets back in gear. If I'm on the gas this is a very hard hit, and can't be healthy. I've learned to coast through the turns then get back on the gas once I've straightened out. I had this same problem in my Dodge Dakota, but I sold it not long after so I never bothered with it. I can't fathom what would cause this problem, so all input is greatly appreciated.

Also is there anything I should be on the lookout for from the 5.9? My brother had one in his 98 and it was solid as a rock until the day he sold it with 222000 on it.

Thanks in advance.
Have you checked the fluid level and condition yet?

Old 07-15-2015, 04:20 PM
HappyDodger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't checked the fluid since the truck has been in my possession. My dad had it for a week before I got it. He changed the fluid and filter, so I'm guessing the fluid should be in good shape. I did a little reading and sounds like it may be a bit low on fluid. When I get back to the truck I'm going to check it and add what's needed.

Quick Reply: '02 1500 transmission slips during left turn