3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Will not start or crank at all

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015 | 07:26 PM
BLanaghan
|
Default Will not start or crank at all

I bought a 2003 Ram 4.7 with a 5 speed manual yesterday. Ran great all the way home with frequent stops, once I got home (still getting used to clutch) I attempted reverse and it stalled out due to poor driving. It would not start again. It doesn't sound like the starter will engage. Starter was tested and fine. Battery was also tested and fine. Wires don't seem to be corroded enough to cause this sort of issue. I don't know how to test a solenoid or relays. Or could it be the clutch ignition interlock switch? Or even a clutch safety switch? This is the first dodge I have ever owned and I am extremely frustrated that I owned it for less than 24 hours and this happens. Any help is appreciated.

Old 08-02-2015 | 08:50 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Check for power at the starter. Then check for switch power. IE, someone needs to turn the key. Look on here at weeds link, he has service manuals.

Old 08-02-2015 | 11:22 PM
BLanaghan
|

Originally Posted by p38251
Check for power at the starter. Then check for switch power. IE, someone needs to turn the key. Look on here at weeds link, he has service manuals.
Thanks for the feed back it turned out I had a bad clutch safety switch. Bypassed it and it fired right up!

Old 08-03-2015 | 01:40 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Wow no kidding. New one, never heard of that. Glad you got it fixed.

Old 08-03-2015 | 04:07 PM
BLanaghan
|

Originally Posted by p38251
Wow no kidding. New one, never heard of that. Glad you got it fixed.
Yeah it's a little plug in down above the clutch pedal. They tend to go bad so I just ran a wire to itself basically and it started. It causes the starter to not engage. I had the starter tested to find out it was that simple plug. So if anyone else comes across this I would try the bypass before thinking its a solenoid.

Old 10-29-2016 | 02:00 PM
les.little
Default clutch safety switch

I think I have the same problem. 08 1500 ram. Would depress the clutch pedal and it was hit or miss if it would start. I moved the little gizmo at the top and under the clutch pedal and it fired right up. How do you bypass the switch? thanks for any help

Quick Reply: Will not start or crank at all