3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Programmer caused tranny slippage??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 12:22 AM
ezytigr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programmer caused tranny slippage??

I apologize in advance for the length here but I want to provide full, readers digest version, of issue.

Almost 2 years ago, I purchased a full Banks package for my 03 Ram 2500 with 5.9L Cummins. Everything seemed great for a year. Then my transmission went out. After the local shop rebuilt it and added an upgraded Billet torque convertor, I noticed a lot of shift issues. Shuttle Shifting, and what felt and sounded like slippage. (BTW...after picking up the truck, it was leaking tranny fluid. I took it to another shop and they had to drain over a gallon of fluid out to get it to the right level) Then I towed my 5th wheel, major slippage and it caused my programmer to error out.
I took the truck back to the shop and they spent the next 2 weeks doing everything to prove the transmission was NOT the problem rather than try to find the problem. They tried to tell me the turbo was bad. they reluctantly replaced the solenoids and the shift issues improved an no more noises.
Next time I towed, excessive slip detected and the programmer errors out. I schedule an appointment with the tranny guy again so that he can diagnose and discuss it with Banks directly (at this point I'm tired of being the go between). They tore apart the tranny and found the TCC burnt. (slippage!! what do ya know?!) Anyway he is claiming to have received a Chrysler TSB for my model stating that when something is plugged in to the OBD port constantly, this will cause the TCC to slip and burn up.
I can't imagine Banks would not be aware of something like this IF it were true. I can't find anything on the internet about this TSB. Has anyone on here EVER heard of something like this or seen this TSB?
They have had my trucks for 2 weeks again and I'm tired of dealing with this. (I'll ask him for the TSB number tomorrow but didn't think about it today)

Old 10-15-2015, 10:48 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Well of he "received" a TSB, tell him to please share the number on it so you can discuss it with the dealer and even if it were accurate, it should be something HE can use to help him correct or fix the issue. The TSB do note and acknowledge a problem but also provide solutions

Old 10-15-2015, 02:36 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Here's some info I found TSB 18-02-99. PCM re flash for the TPS.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:25 PM
ezytigr

Unfortunately that one does not apply to my truck. 2003 Ram 2500. 5.9L Cummins with 48RE transmission. But thanks for looking!

I will be getting the TSB # from him today.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:42 PM
ezytigr

Shop has yet to be able to provide me with the TSB # he told me he had. Go figure. All I do know is that since they rebuilt the tranny and replaced the burnt torque convertor (again) that it now shifts better than it has since it went out back in January.

Quick Reply: Programmer caused tranny slippage??