3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 Hemi Ram Starup takes slightly longer

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 11:49 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 04 Hemi Ram Start up takes slightly longer

Hello,

Recently in the past 2-3 weeks I've noticed when I go to start my truck when cold or cooled off below 140 degrees from a previous drive that it takes a slightly longer starter pulse to start, engine runs fine when started and has tons of power all of the time and no issues or misfires when running, to be honest after the tune up I did a few weeks back its never had more power. Engine has good vacuum readings are in the normal range 17-20 at idle steady with no pulse or oscillation to note. Throttle body is clean and free of carbon, pcv valve is a year old.

I'll go to start it normally and it doesn't start on the normal key cycle and seems like it would have if I had left the starter on for another 1/4 second. Starter sounds strong as always and seems to spin the engine over quickly as ever. I've been doing the slightly longer key cycle and that's been working every time. We're talking like a 1/4 of a second longer but its annoying as hell.

As I mentioned earlier, I did a tune up a few weeks back, with copper champions gapped to .45 and installed a autozone wire set, I did not however replace the spark plug boots on the coils as they did not have those in stock. I don't really think the tune up has anything to do with the issue as it started a few days after and has grown more frequent in the last few days.

Any ideas would be great

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 11-03-2015 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:39 PM
p38251
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perform a fuel pump test. Specifically a bleed down test.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:16 AM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Battery checked?

SJ03

Old 11-11-2015, 03:57 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My year old battery was pretty corroded so I cleaned it up with my battery terminal cleaner kit & dressed it with some protective battery spray. So far it seems like it starts fine, but I've just been holding the key on until it starts, seems to start fast again.

I noticed before that it seemed to start instantly when I'd do the throttle reset procedure, (key on wait till dummy lights go out and mash the gas & let up and turn key off then start truck normal) that also seemed to help off the line response as well, now it just pulls like you're in the gravatron at the fair...tons of power like it always has, but with better response. To be honest the key cycling/pedal reset probably helped the faster starts by helping prime the fuel system by turning the pump/key on/off.

At this point it seems fine/normal, I added some Lucas fuel system treatment to it and if I have future problems I'll check my fuel pressure accumulator and pump/pressure.

Quick Reply: 04 Hemi Ram Starup takes slightly longer