3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I hate to ask, but....... Hella 500 Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 03:16 PM
HuskerNation1
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate to ask, but....... Hella 500 Install Question

There are a wealth of threads on this subject and I have spent hours reading many of them. Unfortunately a lot of the photos are now unavailable to view which may have answered my questions, so here go a few questions:

1) Where are people going through the firewall and into the cab to keep a nice clean install?
2) Where are people getting the power from? Lights, ignition? (outside of the main power line to the battery, of course. Note: I am not 100% sure on how I want to use these but I was leaning toward using with the high's only because I did the 65 watt 9005 bulb change in the factory fog's and that is great. High beams alone are a complete waste of time using for me and living in Montana is horrible for critters and driving, plus where I live there are basically no overhead street lights anywhere for 3/4 of my driving and that is in and around the city! So I am open to suggestions: use with my highs only, with either high or low, etc? Naturally this will dictate where to possibly pull that power from too.)
3) What is a good route for the wires? (I mounted the relay next to the battery on the cab side and the lights are behind the grill mounted on the crossbar. I had gone behind the battery & fuse panel then to the lights but was a little concerned about rubbing on the included wires.
4) What have been good spots for mounting the toggle switch? (other than above the e-brake handle)
5) As many others have done, I may soon find that I will want a 100watt bulb upgrade and at that time will naturally rewire everything accordingly.

Even though my home wiring skills are good, my vehicle ones are not. For now I'd just like to get these on the truck and working since I have had them for 4 years now!

Last edited by HuskerNation1; 11-19-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:54 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there is an existing through hole on the firewall behind the battery... us this to run a wire through to control your switch... use the battery for direct power with a relay and place the fuse as close to the battery as possible... mount the lights as you please... check you housing to see if they will handle the 100w bulbs... tons of places to mount switch.. good luck

Quick Reply: I hate to ask, but....... Hella 500 Install Question