3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 HID problem low beams

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 01:30 PM
dman12323
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 HID problem low beams

Just got done helping a buddy install some HID lights, he wired hooked them up and they worked good. He hooked the ballast and everything up. No capacitor or resistor came with the kit. Keep in mind that he only hooked up the low beam lights as HID. We were flickering them on off for like 5 times at a time. And then we drove over to a store and went to start the truck up and turn the lights on and only the passenger side low beams worked. So then we took off the headlamp in the parking lot and all of a sudden the passenger stopped working. So now there are no low beam lights. I was checking for a head lamp fuse but dont see one. I heard on different forums that there is an fmc computer or something but they mainly only talk about the 06. We tried going back to stock with the original headlights and even the low beams on those dont work. Are there any fuses ,relays, computers that could have been shorted because of the HIDS? Thanks again for the help

Old 12-08-2015, 01:54 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Could be the ballasts went bad if it was a cheap kit. Plug the stock bulbs back in to confirm.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:54 PM
box

I had this problem but only on the drivers side and mine is an 07. Im not sure about the 03's but with mine there is no fuse, the TIPM (computer) regulates the headlights and when it detects a problem it shuts off that circuit. If you ask me that is completely stupid because instead of replacing a 1 dollar fuse you have to take it to the dealership and spend 100 dollars or more for them to reset the TIPM. This fixed my low beam problem. Also, some dealerships will try to say that the TIPM can only be reset 3-5 times before it has to be replaced (which is around 1000 dollars) but my cousin who is a dodge mechanic said that it can be reset as many times as needed.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:07 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

All good mentions so far.

If it were mine, I would stick the oem bulbs back in just long enough to make sure they work and the circuits have power. If they do not light up, then you have either and probably bigger problems. If they do light up then you have a more simple issue related to your HID wiring, bulbs or ballasts

Old 08-19-2016, 03:03 PM
darkman

hello everyone, I just bought a 2003 ram 1500 slt quad cab. when I have my lights on low beam everyone thinks I have high beam and they put their lights on high. when I put my lights on high beam there is not much difference in the light.i have 2 lights on each side but only one bulb for high and low. am I supposed to have 2 bulbs in each side? the truck may have been wrecked. I changed the bulbs but I really only have one head light working on either side,

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 HID problem low beams