3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

UPR Oil Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 11:58 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPR Oil Catch Can

I purchased the first of 2 I plan on buying for the 5.9L engine I have in my Ram. I did not know that there were 2 avenues that oil could get into your intake. I bought 1 thinking the PCV valves were connected and routed to the upper intake. Okay so they are not. I plan on putting this O.C.C. on the upper intake side (passenger side firewall for breather valve cover). As soon as I get the second one I will put it on the PCV side firewall (PCV on drivers side valve cover).

Being new to Dodge/Mopar this is all Swahili to me.. so I figure this will come in handy for newbs like myself when they join the herd.

Instructions.

mounting hardware

Inside the lid.

Inside the oil separator insert. Looks like steel wool. The o-ring on the counter that holds the insert into place.

This portion of the oil insert goes to the valve cover side so the oil must drain down through the whole lower protrusion before the gases can come back up the other side. This helps separate the oil from the gases.

tope down view, start behind the protruding portion because you cannot get your fingers in there, finish on the other side fitting o-ring into groove.

catch can oil separator insert w/ o-ring holding it inlace. Best to start the o-ring behind the protruding part and work it into the o-ring shoulder where your finger can help guide it in.

Oil insert installed and ready for action, the lower section of course needs to be screwed on. This unit looks REAL nice and well thought out.

all together, just need to cut the line, and run them to their respective terminations.

This catch can looks like a real nice, a well thought out unit. I will be purchasing another for the other side so I can catch all the oil from both valve covers this way, prior to the gases going back into the intake for burn. I am going to be installing these hanging off the firewall to each side of the valve cover they are in series with the PCV & Breather Valves to their intake channels.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:22 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You don't need more than one.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:05 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Originally Posted by TNtech
You don't need more than one.

If I only use one I will HAVE to join the 2. As you can see this is the breather side and what it did to the throttle body. Looking at the inside of the lower intake (Keg) it looked a little yellow, but nothing like this. I think the PCV keeps it cleaner, this breather valve is the pits man.. don't want this to happen again so either I change the grommet to a PCV grommet and then install a PCV on this side also, run them to the same oil catch can then run to either 1 or both of the inlets on the intake or?? I am not sure but I want to keep the inside of my intake clean from oil funk going forward.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:07 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional

BTW as it stands the hose and fittings that they send with this catch can are insanely too big. I am going to go get some fittings that will be better for our setup. I will report back with what I find, the size, price, and also the install of it all.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:17 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd be interested in seeing what the inside of the plenum looks like. Does the MAP sensor port come out on both sides in the new t-body? Is your TPS oriented the right way? I thought the connector was on top? I could be wrong...

And sorry, I thought you were doing a HEMI. Yes, the Magnum engines have a bad time handling PCV fodder. They will deposit a gritty type substance in the "V" of the engine. 2 cans might slow that down.

Last edited by TNtech; 01-03-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:51 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Originally Posted by TNtech
I'd be interested in seeing what the inside of the plenum looks like. Does the MAP sensor port come out on both sides in the new t-body? Is your TPS oriented the right way? I thought the connector was on top? I could be wrong...

And sorry, I thought you were doing a HEMI. Yes, the Magnum engines have a bad time handling PCV fodder. They will deposit a gritty type substance in the "V" of the engine. 2 cans might slow that down.
yep the ole' Magnum.. and no worries here, I just want to get it stomped out (the crud).. wondering if I do a 2-1-2 through the oil catch can then back to each side of the intake if that would work. Where would I go to find out why there are 2 types of ventilation on the engine? Maybe Hughes would be a good source?

And the breather is the worst side, the PCV side had a slight yellowing, and the breather was gunk. I have video of it, I won't be able to work on stuff, have an emergency repair job I am leaving for in a few minutes :/

Quick Reply: UPR Oil Catch Can