3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

led headlight bulb question - lamp out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 07:27 AM
JOHNSN10
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default led headlight bulb question - lamp out?

back when we all started putting hid lights in our trucks they didnt work right and then they came out with relays and fuses to make them work with our trucks, and even went a step further and came out with a canbus system that was just plug and play which is what i use right now. my question is with the new led lights that just plug into the stock headlight plug, will i get the same error because its using less power than the stock lights which usually makes it say "lamp out" or will it just work fine asis with no problems?

Old 12-21-2015, 12:03 PM
p38251
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many of the new one's come with relay/anti flicker.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:58 PM
hfd419
Rookie

How are those in our stock headlights? I had always heard the HID didnt focus the light correctly in the reflectors. How do the LED do?

Old 12-21-2015, 05:16 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

The after market led headlight has one. Not the truck.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:07 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hfd419
How are those in our stock headlights? I had always heard the HID didnt focus the light correctly in the reflectors. How do the LED do?
HID bulbs in stock headlights without projectots create glare for oncoming traffic. This is why any and all vehicles with oem HIDs have projectors. You have to understand it's how the headlight bowl is engineered for the stock bulbs. LED bulbs are the new craze but have the same problem for oncoming traffic and they have their own side effects. Read below for more info. If you are looking for a set of custom headlights built to your needs or specifications, inbox me and I will send you some info on some builders.

Originally Posted by JOHNSN10
my question is with the new led lights that just plug into the stock headlight plug, will i get the same error because its using less power than the stock lights which usually makes it say "lamp out" or will it just work fine asis with no problems?
The FCM reads the resistance across the stock halogen bulbs. If the bulb (filament) blows then the Lamp Out light comes on. HIDs nor LEDs have filaments so expect the same results unless you use load resistors.

LED bulbs have gotten better in light output (brighter) over the years but the problem is they are all still made overseas with poor quality and quality control. I've seen several people who used LED bulbs with the cooling fans that failed and the bulb overheated taking the headlight out with it because it warped the plastic. Other bulbs use massive heatsinks or thermal strips to pull away heat. So you have been educated and warned.

Will they,be plug and play? Sure. But be prepared to use load resistors or a higher end solution for can bus systems.

Quick Reply: led headlight bulb question - lamp out?