3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electrical System Going Haywire!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 12:26 PM
jddalton65
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical System Going Haywire!

I have a 2002 Ram 1500 with 108,000 miles, have had literally no problems with it. I parked yesterday and killed the engine. When I tried to start it again, nothing happened. All power lost. I was able to jump it off but while driving around town, the entire instrument panel lights started flashing intermittently. All guages started lighting up. The battery indicator would skyrocket to high, then suddeny drop. Lights began to flicker. I came to a stoplight and it suddenly died,...no power. It seems obvious that my battery is not getting charged which might lead me to believe its a bad alternator, but I took off the negative cable and the engine did not die. What is really wierd is the light show I get when I rev the engine up to about 2000 rpm's. Everything imaginable flickers. Could it be a bad connection? If so, where? I've already cleaned the battery posts. I've also checked the wires between the alternator and the battery for continuity with no problems. Could it be a bad connection from the battery to the starter? HELP!

Old 11-06-2005, 05:58 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: Electrical System Going Haywire!

How old is the battery? Id start by bench testing both the alternator and the battery. Most autoparts stores do it for free. Just because the alternator is charging doesn't mean the internal voltage regulator is working.

Old 11-07-2005, 02:58 PM
rlsalas

Same thing happened to my 2002 at about 80,000 miles. It needed a new battery, problem solved.

Old 11-07-2005, 05:07 PM
bbunn29

Taking off the negative cable to see if the alternator is good or bad is for the old days. Todays vehicles run mostly on the computer, so if you disconnect the battery it is not going to run. IF you were driving a 1970 vehicle this would work but unfortunatley today our world is ran on computers and the computer needs the battery to run the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Electrical System Going Haywire!