3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'06 Ram Remote Starter tripping Security System

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 09:47 AM
mcurran8975
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 Ram Remote Starter tripping Security System

I had a remote starter installed in my truck and it's tripping the security system - red light on dash lights up, keyless entry is disabled and sometimes fog light indicator light comes on and I don't even have fog lights. If I unhook the battery and then hook it back up it resets and is fine but this is happening every 2 or 3 times I use the remote starter. Brought it back to the installer and he seemed to think he fixed it but it just did the same thing a couple days later. Called them and they think it has nothing to do with the remote starter and is rather a problem in the truck's computer - mentioned the BCM. Anyone ever experienced this problem or have any suggestions? Thanks

Old 01-08-2016, 11:41 AM
slvrfox

I had somewhat of the same issue with my 2008 with an aftermarket remote start installed. It was working fine for awhile after I bought it and then one day it just went nuts with the security system.

At first it started small and just tripped it to where the horn was going off but I was able to shut it off and all was fine. Then one day with no warning it tripped the security system to where it would not turn off at all. I tried every trick and tip I could get to try and get it to stop to no avail. It was bad, anytime the battery was connected the security system would be active and the horn would blast regardless of if I was trying to start it, unlock it, or anything. All that had to happen was the battery be connected.

I eventually had to drive 20 miles or so with my alarm going off to get to the nearest dealership that serviced Dodge. They did a bunch of trouble shooting and couldn't figure out why it was going off. They took out the remote start and everything worked fine after that. It's been about 3 years and I've had no issues with my security system going off again.

I'm not sure if it was a bad install from getting the remote start put it. But it didn't act up for a while and then out of no where it did. They couldn't tell me exactly what was up, just that the remote start was messing with something.

Hopefully you can get something figured out and it works out for the best.

On a unrelated note, I lost a lil confidence in the local police as I was driving around with the alarm system tripping and blasting my horn as I was driving down the road and they didn't even glance over at me to see if I stole the truck or not.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:45 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Is this an aftermarket system?

It would seem to be related to the remote start if it didn't start doing this until after the installation. I would recommend having this diagnosed by a dealership to be sure.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:06 PM
mcurran8975

Jack - it is an aftermarket system and I never had any problems like this until it was installed.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:25 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Do you have a warranty on it from whomever installed it? I would continue to try to work with them, or possibly take it to a dealership to get their thoughts. If you hadn't had any concern like this pop up prior to the installation, it would seem likely that it's related to the new system.

Quick Reply: '06 Ram Remote Starter tripping Security System