3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil Changes and Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 11:18 PM
BigSkyDodge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Changes and Warranty

Hello,
I am a first time owner of a Dodger and it is a 2005 Hemi. When I bought the pickup, they told me I had to take it into the dealership for lube and oil changes and they would take out a tab in the book. If I did not take it to the dealership for lube and oil changes they said it would hurt my chances that they would cover things under warranty. Well, I live on a ranch 40 miles from the nearest dealership, I have bulk oil on hand, and get a better deal getting filters from NAPA. Well, they said I could keep receipts and records if I changed the oil myself. Well, bulk oil and a case of filters doesn't sound like a specific enough receipt to show I am maintaining the vehicle. So, I can buy the oil and one filter everytime I change, but that isn't handy either especially when we don't want to make a special trip just to get oil when I can have it on hand. I had 2800 miles on the pickup and had an appointment for the lube and oil but had to cancel because it turned out we weren't going to make the trip to town. Now it has over 3000 miles on it because we just can't not drive it and not sure when we will get it to town again.
I would have certainly changed the oil by now myself, but don't want to have any warranty issues because i did it myself. Does anyone have a solution for me? Or any questions to clear up my situation? They also told me that I should support my local dealership. Well, that's fine but when it comes to maintaining my new pickup I would rather change the oil myself and not have to worry about warranty. Well, what do you all think!? I understand where the company is coming from and protecting their warranty program, but geesh.
Thanks,
Rob

Old 11-06-2005, 11:51 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Oil Changes and Warranty

ORIGINAL: BigSkyDodge

Hello,
I am a first time owner of a Dodger and it is a 2005 Hemi. When I bought the pickup, they told me I had to take it into the dealership for lube and oil changes and they would take out a tab in the book. If I did not take it to the dealership for lube and oil changes they said it would hurt my chances that they would cover things under warranty. Well, I live on a ranch 40 miles from the nearest dealership, I have bulk oil on hand, and get a better deal getting filters from NAPA. Well, they said I could keep receipts and records if I changed the oil myself. Well, bulk oil and a case of filters doesn't sound like a specific enough receipt to show I am maintaining the vehicle. So, I can buy the oil and one filter everytime I change, but that isn't handy either especially when we don't want to make a special trip just to get oil when I can have it on hand. I had 2800 miles on the pickup and had an appointment for the lube and oil but had to cancel because it turned out we weren't going to make the trip to town. Now it has over 3000 miles on it because we just can't not drive it and not sure when we will get it to town again.
I would have certainly changed the oil by now myself, but don't want to have any warranty issues because i did it myself. Does anyone have a solution for me? Or any questions to clear up my situation? They also told me that I should support my local dealership. Well, that's fine but when it comes to maintaining my new pickup I would rather change the oil myself and not have to worry about warranty. Well, what do you all think!? I understand where the company is coming from and protecting their warranty program, but geesh.
Thanks,
Rob
You are not required to have the dealer do the changes to get your warranty. If an internal component fails they will be able to tell if the oil is old. Worst case, if DC tried to pull this BS just have some kind of proof of purchase from the local car parts place. Good reason to use a debit or credit card when buying or just to simply save your reciept.

Bottom line the dealer just wants you to pay twice as much than you should for a oil change. And even worse, dumping in conventional oil....

Old 11-07-2005, 12:23 AM
BigSkyDodge
Rookie

Yeah, at $30 for an oil change, I can do it myself a lot cheaper and just as well. Shoot I have been changing oil in pickups, semi's, tractor's, and lawn and garden mowers before I was even legal age to operate them. I realize that DC has to protect their warrenty program and make sure their products are getting routine maintence because you know how the saying goes "1 rotten apple can spoil the whole bushel". Or something like that. So, it is refreshing to hear that i don't have to have the dealership change it everytime. I am going to have them change it the first time and show them I am friendly and supportive and interested in maintaining my HEMI, but if they don't pull the 3000 mile maintance tag out of the Schedule B I am going to call major BS and do it myself everytime after, while maintaining receipts and keeping records like suggested. Something about CYA!
Thanks,
Rob

Old 11-07-2005, 03:17 AM
Avanti
Captain

BS, pure and simple!!![:@]

Follow the suggested schedule, recording and keeping all receipts. The law says they cannot require you come to them or use their products, as long as you use comparable. I try to have the dealer NEVER again touch my vehicles once they go out-the-door! Suggest you do the same with these schmucks!

All the best.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:15 AM
mill500
Veteran

Avanti's right, the Magnuson Moss Act (as it relates to autos) says a manufacturer cannot require a product or service exclusively, or it must provide it free. If you're not going to do it yourself, and keep receipts as he says, I'd stay with the dealer. There are enough threads on here about bad experiences, mine included, at Jiffy Lube to rule them out as a possibility.

Old 11-07-2005, 12:24 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I change my own oil every 3K or so. I just keep reciepts and log the mileage and engine run hours. I think the only major problems these motors have had (HEMI) has been the valve springs that they have long since fixed. It was mostly a few 03 that had this problem. The other major problem was on the 5.9L with the manifold gasket leaking.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:59 PM
BigSkyDodge
Rookie

Thank You for your help! I appreciate your insight and sharing your knowledge. I wasn't aware of the Law mentioned, and it really helps me make up my mind. Will do it myself, keep proper records (as always) and hang on to the receipts!
Thanks again,
Rob

Quick Reply: Oil Changes and Warranty