3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LED tail light bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 02:52 PM
CoenMeinema
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope it’ll work out as I planned. The biggest issue will be to change the single reverse light to dual function socket. Judging your pictures it looks like the sockets have been ‘melted’ in to place, so that may require some drilling and creating a new fixture with some screws.

The big challenges I now have is where to find the connection plates and the white/yellow led light without switchback function.

I hope you’ll be able to dig up what wire has what function, so it makes it easier for me.
Did you have to separate the negative connections in the socket themselves in order to create the non-CK connections?

Old 03-02-2019, 02:50 PM
GA Hemi
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CoenMeinema
Did you have to separate the negative connections in the socket themselves in order to create the non-CK connections?
No, see the pictures I posted at the beginning of this thread... you have to cut the silver bars in the gray "box" to "re-route" the grounds. I did not make any modifications to the sockets themselves.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:53 PM
GA Hemi
Rookie

I hope you’ll be able to dig up what wire has what function, so it makes it easier for me.
Here ya go...

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tail lights.pdf (196.0 KB, 207 views)
File Type: pdf
wire color.pdf (219.4 KB, 157 views)
Old 03-05-2019, 04:50 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

I hope it’ll work out as I planned. The biggest issue will be to change the single reverse light to dual function socket. Judging your pictures it looks like the sockets have been ‘melted’ in to place, so that may require some drilling and creating a new fixture with some screws.

The big challenges I now have is where to find the connection plates and the white/yellow led light without switchback function.

you can do all that without resistors and little wiring. Switchback for the reverse with a power wire (only wiring needed) and can bus bulbs with a led flasher

Old 11-06-2020, 08:11 AM
DenCon

Please post pics of your resistor setup too! :-)

Old 11-06-2020, 09:15 PM
GA Hemi
Rookie

Originally Posted by DenCon
Please post pics of your resistor setup too! :-)
Give me a few days and I will post a picture of how I installed the resistors... thanks.

The following users liked this post:
DenCon (11-07-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 10:59 AM
GA Hemi
Rookie

I took off the rear tail light so you could see how I have the resistors arranged. I used a piece of "U" shaped aluminum to mount the resistors to and then mounted the whole package behind the tail light. I've been running this setup since 2016 with no problems at all.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:45 AM
DenCon

Nice and tidy.

Old 03-28-2021, 03:08 PM
Erien Wells

Originally Posted by GA Hemi
Just wanted to pass on my recent Ram mod. I have always wanted to put LED tail light bulbs in my Ram. About a year after I bought the truck (around 2006) I installed a set of LED blinker (amber) lights in the front using the required load resistors and they have worked out very well. My intention was to install some LED lights in the tail lights shortly thereafter and have finally got around to it in 2016... 10 years later!!!

Part of my procrastination was the discovery that the rear tail light bulbs had to be "CK" type... do an internet search on it if you don't know what that means. Additionally, I reasoned that I would have to have three load resistors per side to make it all work. I did not want to buy whole replacement LED tail lights as I wanted that stock "factory" look with the advantages and "bling" of LED. So, I got off my duff recently and made it happen. My solution was to purchase two stock tail light circuit boards for my truck and re-wire them to accept standard type LED bulbs so that I could simply plug in my stock tail light plug into the re-wired circuit boards and have everything work correctly. That way, if I ever decided to go back to stock, it could be done easily, in a few minutes and without having any cut wires.

Well, as I mentioned, I finally got it done and it turned out GREAT! I am very pleased with the light output and operation of the new bulbs and the fact that you just don't see LED bulbs in these 3rd gen Rams... making it a little unique.

Here are a few pics of the project...

The circuit board re-wire picture does not include the additional wiring for the resistors.

On the picture of the back of the truck, the left side are the LEDs... the right is stock. Hard to tell much difference in the picture, but they look a lot better in person... especially the white back up bulbs.

The two pictures of the bulbs are what I installed.

This project was a lot of work for the benefit, but I like it and I'm pleased with the results. I am planning on now doing LEDs in the 3rd brake light, cargo light and license plate lights so that all exterior lights are LED (except headlights).

If anyone is thinking about doing the same thing, just let me know and I will be glad to answer any questions.
Just out of curiosity do you still have this same set up today? If so how did the out come of the rewiring play out in the long run? I'm considering trying this.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:31 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 216 Likes on 196 Posts

Or just get plug and plays lol

Quick Reply: LED tail light bulbs