3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

frame rot !!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 01:24 AM
swamper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry frame rot !!!!!!

looked under my truck today and I found a rot hole in the center of the frame right by the rear wheel about the size of a quarter.Then the hole goes to a crack about maybe a foot long and I pressed on it with my finger and its rot to it just hasn't gone through yet.how can I fix this?I hear this is a issue with these trucks since I live in Connecticut and the salt they put down in the winters here did a number on it.just wondering is it worth fixing the rotted frame?

Old 04-18-2016, 09:59 AM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely fix it, I'm also from CT and have minimal rust. Use a wire brush to get as much off as you can, any where. Clean it, and hit it witha rust inhibitor such as POR 15, and then prime and spray paint it (or undercoat)

Stop rut at all costs. You can also use light grease or oil and coat the metal before the fist salting to keep it from rusting. I coat the top of the wheel wells and inner bedsides in white lithium grease.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:02 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

I would consider undercoating as well. Spent 10yrs in Maine, undercoated my truck myself. Never have a issue with rust. Even the wheel wells where clean.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:24 PM
swamper
Veteran

im guessing something will have to be welded in place of the rot once I remove it.seeing I never welded before and don't own a welder guess ill have to have a shop fix it..

Old 04-21-2016, 10:55 PM
swamper
Veteran

posting some pics of the rot on my truck frame.by the way I bought the truck used .The owner before me didn't wash the salt off enough I guess.

https://dodgeforum.com/g/picture/5345543 the hole is the size of a quarter near the rear shock on the underside of the frame in the center

https://dodgeforum.com/g/picture/5345547 the crack is rot also if I press on it enough it will crumble.its about a foot long.its rotting from the inside out it looks what a cheap frame they made on these trucks.

Last edited by swamper; 04-25-2016 at 02:51 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:43 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Forget a wire brush for this task!

You're going to have to grind all of that down & see the extent of the rust. Don't be afraid of grinding too much away and ruining the integrity, the flimsy rust I assure you is holding nothing up. Once you see shiny metal you know you've got down to business and know not to grind anymore.

For the record these frames are great and highly durable, I live in Wisconsin and we salt the roads like crazy, 99% of my frame still has the paint on it and only the weld seams are starting to finally now show some surface rust which I've taken out with some Rust inhibitor.

Quick Reply: frame rot !!!!!!