3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HEMI OIL? WHAT OIL TO RUN IN A 2005 HEMI? HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 05:53 PM
cayden13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Come on guys, read up!

H.H. - thanks for your post. I'm new to the forum and the allpar link you included in your post looks like it will be excellent reading - exactly what I was looking for.

ORIGINAL: HoustonHEMI

Several points here that need to be cleared up. First rule of thumb is to always use what driver's manual calls out . As far as synthetic vs. petroleum, that’s your call however synthetic has been proven to better protect against friction, heat, wear, and viscosity break-down with no comparison.

The new HEMI with MDS (multi-displacement system), are required to use 5W-20. The system will not operate properly with any other weight! This oil was developed to work with the new MDS technology and should start becoming more readily available. Like some of the others have said, Wal-Mart seems to be the best and cheapest to acquire it.

More information on the 5w-20 and the MDS system can be found here at http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

Now then, this 3000 mile between oil changes crap is so far from the truth. This was started long ago when only petroleum based oils were use and engines weren't weren’t defined as they are today. If you're using a good synthetic oil you can easily go 5000 to 8000 miles between changes depending on your driving conditions. Some of the Mobil-1 oils are now engineered specifically to go 15,000 miles between changes.

I had a 1984 Toyota 4x4 pick-up that I kept for over 16 years and when it was sold I had well over 350,000 miles on the original never rebuilt engine. Still running strong when I sold it thanks to Mobil-1 which I changed never fewer than 5000 miles between changes. Many times over 8000. Just be sure and get a good filter.

Kits are available that consist of a double filter set-up. After 5000 miles you mail an oil sample to a lab where there examine the oil and let you know when to change it. Most the time it's well over 8000 miles before having to change.

I'll be switching over to Mobil-1 extended 5W-20 as soon as I get 3000 miles on my new HEMI. After that I won't change it again until 5000 to 6000 miles.

Just my 2-cents.

H.H.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:38 PM
tinyfxds
Veteran

I just changed my oil to Amsoil. They have a new oil that's gauranteed for 25000 miles or one year. There's no way I'll put 25K on this year but I'll only need to change my oil once.The old 3000 mile rule is totally false. Most European automakers have drain intervals out past 10000 miles. My sisters BMW is every 15000 miles. They use the same oil we use. You do have to use synthetic to get these results but in the long run it's cheaper.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Mulaka73

ORIGINAL: tinyfxds

I just changed my oil to Amsoil. They have a new oil that's gauranteed for 25000 miles or one year. There's no way I'll put 25K on this year but I'll only need to change my oil once.The old 3000 mile rule is totally false. Most European automakers have drain intervals out past 10000 miles. My sisters BMW is every 15000 miles. They use the same oil we use. You do have to use synthetic to get these results but in the long run it's cheaper.
I am an Amsoil user myself, but you need to be careful and read the fine print on their oils. It is not just guaranteed for 25,000 miles or one year...there are stipulations to that. Read the manuals provided on the site. If you plan on going that many miles with the oil, you need a bypass filter, or at least change filters, and you should also do oil analysis when you change the filter.
I would not run an oil longer than 10,000 miles without an oil analysis...especially Mobil 1. Amsoil is a great oil...I have used it for years, but be careful with how you use it, and don't for a minute think you can just put it in the engine and forget about it for 25,000 miles.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:28 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I use mobile one and am going to start using napa gold filters. I cahnge my oil every 4-6 thousand miles, I tend to keep it on the lower side. I dont always drive the hell out of my truck but when I am off roading or am messing with other cars I do it aggressively. Also Arizona has mighty hot summers. I am get mobile 1 5/20 in 5 quart jugs at wal-mart and it sets me back aprox 23 bucks each time for 5 quarts. Where can I get a oil analysis?

Old 04-14-2007, 09:21 PM
tinyfxds
Veteran

Amsoil has a filter called "Ea filter". It's designed to be used in conjunction with their high mileage oil. I don't plan on going an entire year without changing my filter. I would say October is when I plan on changing my filter along with a quart or two of oil.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:04 PM
guitarjrw

i see a lot of people here saying they pick a 5quart jugof mobil 1for 25 bucks a walmart. you do realize that the hemi takes 7 quarts right?

Old 04-15-2007, 02:04 PM
tinyfxds
Veteran

Do the do it yourself stores offer an oil analysis? I am pretty sure when I changed my oil it said to check the oil by doing this. I don't know where to go however.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:30 PM
eglzfan5
Default RE: HEMI OIL? WHAT OIL TO RUN IN A 2005 HEMI? HELP PLEASE!

I run Mobil 1 synthetic 5w20 every 3k.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:41 PM
tinyfxds
Veteran
Default RE: HEMI OIL? WHAT OIL TO RUN IN A 2005 HEMI? HELP PLEASE!

I'm going to be changing the oil in my Harley over to Amsoil when I get it out of storage. I read some pretty ineresting stuff on Harley Oil that I don't really like.

Quick Reply: HEMI OIL? WHAT OIL TO RUN IN A 2005 HEMI? HELP PLEASE!