3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Noise from front of truck

Old 07-27-2016, 01:35 PM
DuallyAgain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from front of truck

Hello,
I have a 2003 1500 4wd w/360. The truck started to make a noise when turning to the right but goes quite when you turn to the left. So normally that means wheel bearing. Replaced the well hub with a Timken hub. Whining still there, so I replaced the CV shaft. Noise is still there... Noise is there when going straight but gets worse when turning right. Turn left and it gets quite. I have also chang the front different fluid.

So what could it be?

The rack and pinion does have a small leak on the left side. Could this be the cause of the whine? You can feel the noise through the steering wheel.

Please help.... Thanks

Old 07-27-2016, 03:14 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Both bearings?

Old 07-27-2016, 07:02 PM
GaryG

Yep, classic symptoms of a failing wheel bearing/hub. Just replaced mine last week ('07 Ram 1500 4wd 5.7L).

As p'51 asked, did you replace BOTH bearings/hubs? It can be hard to tell which bearing is bad based on noise when turning. Besides, if one is failing, the other will probably be going bad soon, also.

Side note: Did you replace the bad hub yourself? If so, wasn't that fun? If your axle nut & hub bolts were as rusted on as mine, I know the answer. lol.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:45 AM
DuallyAgain

I only did the left bearing. Now it was squealing. There is a video from A1 on YouTube. It wasn't that easy. I had to support the bottom control arm and separate the top of the spindle from the ball joint. Then remove the tie rod end. I also kinda cheated and used a Snap-On battery impact. That thing is amazing and a life saver. But it took me 2 hours to do it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noise from front of truck