3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thinking about buying an 03 half ton

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 10:40 PM
jswain
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying an 03 half ton

Hi. Old member on 2nd gen forum that hasn't posted in years. I sold my 98 ram years ago and haven't been in a Dodge since. Mainly this was due to a 46re trans that gave me fits lol. I've owned several trucks since the Dodge, but am currently truckless. I'm looking at a 2003 1/2 ton 4wd with a 5 spd right now. I need a truck, but will keep using a car as a daily driver, I guess. Anyhow, I have a few questions:

Is the 4.7 a decent engine? This one has 180k miles. I've heard they have oil sludging issues and are prone to overheating..

What manual trans will this truck have (4.7, 4wd)? Is it particularly problematic or ok?

Anything else I should be aware of that's a common issue (other than the busted dash)? Maybe I can get the guy to knock the price down enough to buy a dash overlay.

Thanks for any input.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:02 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it has been taken care of it will last. It says 5sp, but it may be a manual or an auto (auto is a 5sp as well). Just sucks it's so low on power.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:51 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been mostly a Chrysler guy for decades. Loved the 318/5.2L Magnum engines. When the 4.7L AMC engine became a magnum, I was skeptical at first. Glad I was. The folks I have known personally that have that engine regret ever owning a Dodge.

A co-worker of mine just had his 4.7L rebuilt for $5,000. He hopes it will last 5 years if he is lucky. Then he plans to unload the truck then. He loves his Ram, but not the 4.7L.

It took from December till June to find the right truck in great shape, low miles and the 5.7L Hemi. The wife made the issue harder because she wanted quad-cab too.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying an 03 half ton