3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2WD to 4WD Conversion the right way

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 04:20 PM
BlackCowboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2WD to 4WD Conversion the right way

I own a 2WD 2003 Dodge Ram SLT 2500HD QCSB V-10 Stick Shift. I luv my truck. Shes' 1 of 94 ever built with this configuration so imo, rair as hell. I don't why in the sam hell the didn't manufacture more than 121 QCSB V-10's with 4x4's from the factory. Who knows. I am new to this forum and need help with installing the right way the manual 4x4 and accompanying suspension. I already have a few leads:

1. Find comparable HD chassis and pull from a donor vehicle all needed parts.

That's pretty much as far as I've gotten. This truck is sturdy and awesome, she just should've been born a 4WD.

What and how do I need to go about this. I'm in it for the long-haul. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:23 AM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the basic idea.
Get the same thing but 4x4, different engine, and cut the front frame section off on each one and swap them, then you'll have your straight axle. You will also need to change the steering over.
You'll need a transfer case and I believe the right tail for the transmission, it may be interchangeable with a slightly newer manual hemi transmission or Cummins.
You'll need the front and rear driveshafts, and the linkage and to cut the hole in your floor.

IMO, do it. I've always said those are one of the mot rare dodge trucks made, 03 V10 Manuals. Never scrap it, hold onto it or let me know if you want to sell her!

Old 09-28-2016, 10:47 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

""2WD to 4WD Conversion the right way""

Buy a 4WD.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:53 AM
cruzer55
Veteran

For the labor involved,just find same yr, frame 4x4,wheelbase and take it from there.Complete front suspension along with axles and all hardware.It is much more cost effective to put the body of your truck on a complete frame for 4x4 than weld front clip on ,and safer.I've done many swaps like what you want to do for customers.Just a thought..........

Old 09-29-2016, 04:59 PM
Buckrabbit
Amateur

If the truck is so rare why butcher it, would be sought after completely stock, just a thought.

Quick Reply: 2WD to 4WD Conversion the right way