3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

another post for help dodge 4.7 engine rattle

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 11:44 AM
codyallen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another post for help dodge 4.7 engine rattle

Can some please help me determine the problem here? I have checked lash adjusters for play and replaced one that was loose. Nothing changed. Timing chain seems tight and smooth while running with valve cover off. All valve stems are equal in height and equal spring pressure. No broken springs that i could tell with cam removed. i posted a video here

Old 10-19-2016, 02:59 PM
Hatch

Sounds like an exhaust manifold leak.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:17 PM
codyallen

I forgot to mention i checked for exhaust leak.Since the posting i dropped the oil pan to check for spun bearings. bearings are tight. however #8 piston is very loose in the cylinder. Looks like the rings are collapsed. The walls look good but i can literally wiggle the piston side to side.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:19 AM
Hatch

Originally Posted by codyallen
...however #8 piston is very loose in the cylinder. Looks like the rings are collapsed. The walls look good but i can literally wiggle the piston side to side.
Just curious. If that's the case, why so focused on the sound? Now I'm thinking what sound might be expected from de-tensioned rings and piston slap, and your sound could very well be an exact fit.

Seems to me chasing valve train noise and anything else when you know what you know about this motor is a bit like treating a cough when the patient has a spear though the chest??

Last edited by Hatch; 10-20-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:38 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does the knocking sound get faster when you rev it up? If so I'm willing to bet It's a rod knock or wrist pin going out. I've heard that 100 times. Your motor is about to be trash. If you fix it now maybe the damage won't be that bad.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:08 AM
Eagle1452

Just wondering if it sounds like a diesel when you first start it up, my 06 does. I was going to put some additive in the engine but when I talked to the counterman at the parts store he said it wouldn't do any good (said it was made that way) some gaps in the wrist pins or something he told me not to worry about it. Been 2 years now and still makes the same rattle like a diesel when first starting up till it warms up. Not using any oil 130k