3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Caliper Question!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 05:15 PM
jfotsch
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake Caliper Question!

Appreciate any help!

Did my front brake pads first with powerstop z36-966; mated to freshly turned powerstop drilled/slotted rotors. They bedded in nicely.
The next day I did my rears with some Hawk hb513y.610; mated to freshly turned powerstop drilled/slotted rotors. Got a grinding and squeaking noise right off the bat.
Cannot remember why I bought the hawk several years ago but I have gotten some powerstop z36-898 now to open up and change them out.
Most of the noise is coming from the right rear; the farthest from the master cylinder.
I relubed everything up. The pistons were not out far enough to lube up all of the rubber but did not notice any tears or problems. Spent a lot of time at each wheel well cleaning and lubing up nicely.
Am looking at powerstop remanufactured calipers already because I want it to be right??? S4832-front and S4836 rear??
I live in the desert (Las vegas) windshield wiper blades only last 1 year and most batteries on last 2-3. Climate is really bad on rubber. Tires dry-rot in about 4 years.

Are Powerstop calipers any good??

Thanks for any insight

OEM off-road 17's, BFG LT's, drilled/slotted rotors frt/rear, Airraid CAI, cortex 3950, Magnaflow y-pipe, Detroit TT, Mag hytec trans and rear diff pan, SRT-A-pillar w/trans temp gauge, 190 t-stat, power wire, grnd TB

Old 10-30-2016, 07:30 PM
jfotsch
Professional

Originally Posted by jfotsch
Appreciate any help!

Did my front brake pads first with powerstop z36-966; mated to freshly turned powerstop drilled/slotted rotors. They bedded in nicely.
The next day I did my rears with some Hawk hb513y.610; mated to freshly turned powerstop drilled/slotted rotors. Got a grinding and squeaking noise right off the bat.
Cannot remember why I bought the hawk several years ago but I have gotten some powerstop z36-898 now to open up and change them out.
Most of the noise is coming from the right rear; the farthest from the master cylinder.
I relubed everything up. The pistons were not out far enough to lube up all of the rubber but did not notice any tears or problems. Spent a lot of time at each wheel well cleaning and lubing up nicely.
Am looking at powerstop remanufactured calipers already because I want it to be right??? S4832-front and S4836 rear??
I live in the desert (Las vegas) windshield wiper blades only last 1 year and most batteries on last 2-3. Climate is really bad on rubber. Tires dry-rot in about 4 years.

Are Powerstop calipers any good??

Thanks for any insight

OEM off-road 17's, BFG LT's, drilled/slotted rotors frt/rear, Airraid CAI, cortex 3950, Magnaflow y-pipe, Detroit TT, Mag hytec trans and rear diff pan, SRT-A-pillar w/trans temp gauge, 190 t-stat, power wire, grnd TB

UPDATE!!!!!
Took the rears back apart and found some metal shavings on my RR caliper and was making the grinding noise by hand.
Changed the 75 buck a set of Hawk pads out for some 40 bucks a set of powerstop and it was a miracle!!!
Miraculously the powerstop rotors do not like hawk pads I guess.
All pads burnished in nicely with their respective rotor and I am one happy camper
I also took the opportunity to fine-tune my parking brake; it was getting a little softer.
Thanks for anyone about to reply and hope this info about mixing and matching no matter how high of quality does not always work.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:35 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've used Hawk pads and Power Slot rotors (since absorbed/renamed by Power Stop, IIRC) for years without any issues. So, if it was just the errant metal shavings on that one set of pads making the noise, what makes the pads, themselves, incompatible? Seems like it was just some FOD in there causing the problem.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:19 AM
jfotsch
Professional

Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha
I've used Hawk pads and Power Slot rotors (since absorbed/renamed by Power Stop, IIRC) for years without any issues. So, if it was just the errant metal shavings on that one set of pads making the noise, what makes the pads, themselves, incompatible? Seems like it was just some FOD in there causing the problem.

Yeah you are probably right, I just could not believe how much noise they were making when I went to burnish the pads to the rotors. I did not even give them a chance!! I did a few 25mph stops and did not like what I was hearing so put a stop before I needed to re-turn the rotors..
The metal shavings were actually on the hole in the caliper so I really do not know where the metal was coming from. The other set was fine though.
Could have just been some irregular surface on a pad?? I cleaned up all parts well during install.
Well, now I have some backup hawk pads for next time around.

Thanks