3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 1500 5.7 RWD bad pinion. Changing rear end instead. Tough job? Bad Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 02:12 PM
alth3655
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dropped it off to the shop a couple hours ago, hoping there are no snags.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:45 PM
alth3655
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got it back, seemed to go off without a hitch. Took the shop about 2 hours total to do it. Too it for a 25 minute drive and couldn't feel much of a difference. It did seem to shift slightly different, but that could have been me overthinking things.

In total, here's what I spent on my 03 5.7 1500 4x2 the last 36 hours:

2 new winter tires, mounted, balanced, and stems: $390
2 good used front tires replacing racing slicks I had on there mounted & balanced: $40
Rear end from an '04 at a reputable junkyard: $500 (get $50 back for the core tomo)
Labor and gear oil for the rear end: $150

So after I get my core back, I'll be $1030 in for the two days, but all in all I think that's a pretty good deal considering the new tires and a functioning rear end that I won't have to worry about any more.

In the spring and summer it will be body work and some new rims, and hopefully a new dashboard and stereo, if I can find a dashboard that isn't cracked and can find someone to install it. I hear they're a royal pain to do because they're so fragile.

Thanks again for all of the advice and answered questions, much appreciated.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:03 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Ladies, ladies, ladies... knock it the **** off -- BOTH of you. I have two children of my own, I don't need to yell at any more on here.

You can disagree on your advice, but do it tactfully and professionally, or you're both going to get carded and sent to Time Out. Any other personal attacks and I sharpen my hammer...

Alth3655, glad you got your situation worked out with the shop. The '02-'03 dashboards were very brittle, but were given the fix about mid-production year. Look for anything beyond that and you should be golden.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:35 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by alth3655
Just got it back, seemed to go off without a hitch. Took the shop about 2 hours total to do it. Too it for a 25 minute drive and couldn't feel much of a difference. It did seem to shift slightly different, but that could have been me overthinking things.

In total, here's what I spent on my 03 5.7 1500 4x2 the last 36 hours:

2 new winter tires, mounted, balanced, and stems: $390
2 good used front tires replacing racing slicks I had on there mounted & balanced: $40
Rear end from an '04 at a reputable junkyard: $500 (get $50 back for the core tomo)
Labor and gear oil for the rear end: $150

So after I get my core back, I'll be $1030 in for the two days, but all in all I think that's a pretty good deal considering the new tires and a functioning rear end that I won't have to worry about any more.

In the spring and summer it will be body work and some new rims, and hopefully a new dashboard and stereo, if I can find a dashboard that isn't cracked and can find someone to install it. I hear they're a royal pain to do because they're so fragile.

Thanks again for all of the advice and answered questions, much appreciated.
Glad you got it working. Dash removal is very much a ROYAL pain in the ***...had to replace heater core. Highly recommend if you do it or have it done, change the evaporator and took a good hard look at your blend doors/HVAC while you have it apart. If it hasn't been replaced already, getting the factory upgrade replacement or the kit from heatertreater so that doesn't become a problem down the road. I got the dash from an 04 or 05 (can't remember which) that I swapped in in place of my cracked original. Three years, at least 20,000 miles and counting. so far so good.