3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans flash

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 06:32 PM
tsawuer1234
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans flash

Can any transmission shop flash the trans for better shifting while towing I see these superchip flash units are they worth the money I would like to get better performance out of it are there any valve body tricks . I found a superchip 3840 used do they don't understand the unlocked thing also they have 3845 is the newer on that much better ? My o4 hemi struggles with towing . Also have a couple f mirrors anyone need them good condition.

Last edited by tsawuer1234; 01-26-2017 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added question
Old 01-26-2017, 11:51 PM
jfotsch
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tsawuer1234
Can any transmission shop flash the trans for better shifting while towing I see these superchip flash units are they worth the money I would like to get better performance out of it are there any valve body tricks . I found a superchip 3840 used do they don't understand the unlocked thing also they have 3845 is the newer on that much better ? My o4 hemi struggles with towing . Also have a couple f mirrors anyone need them good condition.
I have an 04 hemi and I put a tuner (SC 3950 Cortex) on mine mostly due to the transmission tunes and it made a world of difference. The truck sounds and responds extremely well as a result of this modification.
I had considered changing out my valve body and tried the Sonnax resistor but am very happy with the Superchips trans tune.
These have been out for a number of years (have had mine about 4 years) so you should be able to find some tunes on the site here and adjust them to your own liking. I have a pretty mellow tune now but tried some radical ones at first and the truck sounded like a race car. Has not caused any ill effects on my transmission. I think it is actually better now since the thing actually shifts into gear instead of eventually getting there. (less heat)
These 545rfe's are tuned from the factory to be soft and unresponsive. You will be amazed at what they are actually capable of when tuned!!!!
My 2 and a half cents.

04 Ram 1500 Hemi 4wd QCSB

Old 01-27-2017, 06:47 AM
tsawuer1234
Amateur

Originally Posted by jfotsch
I have an 04 hemi and I put a tuner (SC 3950 Cortex) on mine mostly due to the transmission tunes and it made a world of difference. The truck sounds and responds extremely well as a result of this modification.
I had considered changing out my valve body and tried the Sonnax resistor but am very happy with the Superchips trans tune.
These have been out for a number of years (have had mine about 4 years) so you should be able to find some tunes on the site here and adjust them to your own liking. I have a pretty mellow tune now but tried some radical ones at first and the truck sounded like a race car. Has not caused any ill effects on my transmission. I think it is actually better now since the thing actually shifts into gear instead of eventually getting there. (less heat)
These 545rfe's are tuned from the factory to be soft and unresponsive. You will be amazed at what they are actually capable of when tuned!!!!
My 2 and a half cents.

04 Ram 1500 Hemi 4wd QCSB
Thanks for the response there is so much information it hurts my head I was looking for a good tune to tow a 4900 lb camper does the sc come with different tuned or do you have to build them.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:55 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Superchips is all canned tunes (standard, cannot be altered). There used to be shift schedules posted on this site you could try out with a Superchips on your truck.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:07 PM
jfotsch
Professional

Thanks for the response there is so much information it hurts my head I was looking for a good tune to tow a 4900 lb camper does the sc come with different tuned or do you have to build them.

Like HemiLonestar said; the Superchips are preset tunes for performance but it sounded to me you were more concerned with transmission changes and parameters for towing your trailer. That is primarily why I went with the SC Cortex. I did not really care about racing people. It was all about the trans and keeping heat down while performing better.
So to answer your question about it improving towing I believe it does. My truck also has a factory tow package which helps with dropping a gear on downhill and also quicker shifts but the tuner will allow you to change what speeds your trans will shift into another gear; giving you a great deal of control over rpm. I used to have to floor it to go down to 4th up a hill and now with a slight depression I am there. I also have it set to not go into other gears until I feel it should be there. I have had diesels in the past and keeping rpms up is essential to performance. Gas is a little different but when towing they need to be up to have control.These parameters are controlled by your input in the tunes. It does take a little while to get fine tuned the way you like and I know there are plenty of tunes to try out from others to help you find your own sweet-spot tune but has been well worth it for me.

Just my 2 1/2 cents

04 Ram 1500 4wd Hemi QCSB

Old 01-27-2017, 04:06 PM
tsawuer1234
Amateur

Like HemiLonestar said; the Superchips are preset tunes for performance but it sounded to me you were more concerned with transmission changes and parameters for towing your trailer. That is primarily why I went with the SC Cortex. I did not really care about racing people. It was all about the trans and keeping heat down while performing better.
So to answer your question about it improving towing I believe it does. My truck also has a factory tow package which helps with dropping a gear on downhill and also quicker shifts but the tuner will allow you to change what speeds your trans will shift into another gear; giving you a great deal of control over rpm. I used to have to floor it to go down to 4th up a hill and now with a slight depression I am there. I also have it set to not go into other gears until I feel it should be there. I have had diesels in the past and keeping rpms up is essential to performance. Gas is a little different but when towing they need to be up to have control.These parameters are controlled by your input in the tunes. It does take a little while to get fine tuned the way you like and I know there are plenty of tunes to try out from others to help you find your own sweet-spot tune but has been well worth it for me.

Just my 2 1/2 cents

04 Ram 1500 4wd Hemi QCSB
Thanks allot of info out there what is the Cortex how is it different from flsahpaq.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:28 PM
jfotsch
Professional

Thanks allot of info out there what is the Cortex how is it different from flsahpaq.
They basically do the same thing. I bought the cortex because at the time I was considering getting another Cummins. The cortex will program the diesels, gas, and the cars also with a 2 year warranty against it causing any problems with the power train. Now I feel confident about the tuner not causing problems unless you are using radical tunes.
There is a site called discount tuners where you might save some $$$ and they can probably answer all of your questions. I am merely an amateur with limited experience.

Good luck

Old 01-27-2017, 04:40 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Changing shift points will do little to help towing. Gear ratio change will be the best option. The key is keeping the Hemi in the sweet spot about 2200. Are you using tow/haul button? Tire size will also change gear ratio.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:05 PM
tsawuer1234
Amateur

They basically do the same thing. I bought the cortex because at the time I was considering getting another Cummins. The cortex will program the diesels, gas, and the cars also with a 2 year warranty against it causing any problems with the power train. Now I feel confident about the tuner not causing problems unless you are using radical tunes.
There is a site called discount tuners where you might save some $$$ and they can probably answer all of your questions. I am merely an amateur with limited experience.

Good luck
Thanks been a big help.