3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P0340 DTC code won't go away

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 12:12 AM
iceclymbrr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation P0340 DTC code won't go away

Ok I'm beating my head against a wall here. I have tried everything short of replacing my PCM.

back story: drove fine until I stopped in a parking lot. shut down and walked away for a half hour. came back and ETC light and engine light came on, rough idle, no response from gas pedal. Idle speed won't go over 1500rpm. disconnected the battery and reset the system, no dice and I'm stuck in limp mode, so I get towed home, cause there's no way I can get over 10kph

After i did a ton of digging through different areas, I have changed the Electronic Throttle control (before I got the code reader), that didn't work. plugged in the reader, and got code P0340, P0340 P, and P0562 (camshaft position sensor, and low system voltage). Replaced the CPS, cleared the code, and reset the PCM. Still happening and still getting the P0340, P0340 P and P0562 codes. Because I had an extra couple bucks, I bought a new battery and a new Crankshaft sensor. Replaced both of those, hard dumped the PCM, cleared the codes with the OBDII. Ran great for 2 seconds and ETC light and check engine light came back on, and started running rough again with no pedal response.

I hate gremlins like this and I'm getting frustrated beyond words. I'm about to set it on fire and walk away...

THoughts on this..?

Old 01-27-2017, 06:53 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Fuses? Relays? Check for power? A code gives you a place to start troubleshooting. There maybe underlying conditions.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:46 PM
iceclymbrr

so after much cursing and chasing my tail around in circles, we found the culprit. We spent the day trouble shooting electrical codes, testing all of the wires associated with the sensors and ETC. We didn't find anything, as we had continuity through all of the circuits... so now we're back to the drawing board. but at least we can eliminate the short in wiring. I did a bit more digging and found that even though the truck was throwing the code P0340, and the ETC light was on, I found an obscure topic of the EGR valve causing this problem.

So I changed that out and did an oil change at the same time. I rest the pcm (pull the fuse, push the key to start position and wait for the second chime) shut the truck off, plug the fuse back in and it fired right up, no code, no engine light... nothing except for the welcomed hum of the truck idling along like it's supposed to.

Hope it helps someone else out there troubleshooting an issue like this.

Now time for a well earned beer or 7...

Old 01-28-2017, 08:48 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhhhhhm,, take a breath, tells us what year truck, what engine etc. they aren't all the same.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:56 PM
iceclymbrr

Originally Posted by Gone Fishin
Uhhhhhm,, take a breath, tells us what year truck, what engine etc. they aren't all the same.
heh... I guess that'd help eh?!

2008 Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi.