3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torque management

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 05:28 PM
kachina_labala
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque management

I performed the mod in the following link on my 99 grand cherokee with the 4.7 and it made a noticable difference. I was wondering if something like this was avalible for our trucks, and because we have more power would it just tear up the trans?

Torque Managment

Old 11-16-2005, 08:56 PM
|3|ackAc|D
Record Breaker
Default RE: Torque management

need one for the hemi

Old 11-16-2005, 10:08 PM
05_black_beast
Professional

My Superchip tuner took care of it on the upshifts, but the upshifts arent as much a concern to me as when the truck pulls timing at WOT from a standstill...Which it still does. Yuck! [:'(]

Old 11-17-2005, 12:33 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I've heard that mod only works on the 03 models. Torque management or not, I'm not gonna go snipping wires.

Old 11-18-2005, 03:45 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

Sounds interesting, if anyone does this kind of mod on a 2005 let me know.

Old 11-21-2005, 07:06 PM
kachina_labala

Well I guess if you have an 03 or earlier your in luck

torque managment mod

with a little work you can pull the pin back out of the connector so it can be reinserted later. Ill be testing tonight and report back.

Old 11-22-2005, 12:54 PM
kachina_labala

I think it helps the drivability of the truck. I rarely run WOT but it seems to me that this mod helped the bottom end too. I already have the superchip installed and I still noticed a difference in the feel after the mod. Its pretty easy to do and to reverse. If you take the connector off by pulling up the red lock and then pressing the black lock tang down to release the plug. pull off the cover to the plug. Pull the red pin locking tab on the plug and then use a small punch to drive the pin backward out of the plug. Tape the pin up and put in inside the cover. Re install the plug. Its real easy. Even easier if you dont have the stock airbox in the way. I will be running like this and ill let you know.

Old 11-23-2005, 01:27 AM
Stillborn
Veteran

How did it turn out?, My truck still peels nice from a dead stop to WOT, but I always felt it should be more, also. Question for people, does Superchips actually make the shift quicker [like installing a shift kit?]

Old 11-23-2005, 12:39 PM
05_black_beast
Professional

If you have ever been in a vehicle w/ a genuine shift kit you can tell the difference. The shifts are firmer and quicker due to increased line pressure w/ the Superchip tuner, but nowhere near as clean and crisp as they would be with a performance shift kit.

Old 11-23-2005, 01:15 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I had a Transgo shift kit in a modified 4L60E GM tranny and it would shift quick enough to bark in 2nd. My wife hated it, she said it shifted to hard and fast. I just didn't want another POS GM tranny failing at 60K. Matter of fact, it was rebuilt 5 times until the tranny shop just gave up and replaced it with another one. Kept burning out the 2-3 clutches. They never could find out what was causing it. Never had problems with the newer one they put in (at thier expense).

Quick Reply: Torque management