3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Serpentine belt not moving after start

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 09:31 PM
tjohnson17
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine belt not moving after start

Hey guys,

I have an '04 1500 5.7 V8 with around 185k miles on it. On Saturday morning, my truck started up fine but when pulling out of my parking spot the power steering wasn't working. I reversed back in and opened the hood and noticed the serpentine belt wasn't moving. Before I opened the hood the battery dropped to dead. When i tried to move the belt, it suddenly moved and started running again. I've had to do that now for the past few mornings. Sometime while I drive the battery will drop and reads dead, but continues to drive. Theres a weird clicking/ clinging noise coming from under the hood. It idles at about 700 RPM's which seems to be a little low. Any ideas what this is or what causes it? I'm worried it'll just die on my while driving. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:49 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

You have an extremely worn/loose belt, a bad tensioner or a seized pulley somewhere and the belt not turning means the alternator is not charging the battery.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:24 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

If your belt stops, the crank pulley will soon burn right through it and soon you won't have a belt. It also means you lose power steering, charging, cooling (water pump stops). You have to fix that immediately... don't drive the truck.