3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PCV Valve Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 09:16 PM
Ryan_Colorado
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV Valve Issue?

Thanks in advance. 2006, 4.7 manual w/ 83,000 miles. I've had it for three years and put 14,000 miles on in that time. In the lweek, I've had a burning smell from the engine area, and my MPG has dropped. It doesn't smell like burning gas - I'm thinking it's burning oil.

I recently had an exhaust manifold re-attached and the rear main seal repaired (among some other things I think I unrelated). No more leaks underneath that I can see.

Oil level is presently right in the middle. I don't know exactly where it was when I picked it up from service last month. I will check again in a couple of days.

I historically get 13.7 mpg, dropped to 11.7 in December. I think that was the flapping exhaust manifold. Jumped to 14+, for a few weeks with a lot more power. But now I have the burning smell, and I'm about 12.8 mpg.

PCV valve? I don't think I've ever changed it.

Thanks!

Old 04-04-2017, 08:30 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Easy enough to check. Take it out and shake it. If it rattles, it's good.