3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stereo Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:26 PM
babyrooth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Upgrades

I have already replaced the head unit in my truck and am now wanting to change out the speakers. I only have the front and rear door speakers. Anyone have any suggestions for speakers? I am just looking to swap out the oem for some nicer speakers. I used crutchfield for my stereo and will use them again for the speakers. Just looking to see who has already made the change. Also, does anyone have the MTX Amplified ThunderForms that fit under the rear seat? Looking for some feedback from somone who has it to see if it is worth the money.

Old 11-21-2005, 09:57 PM
stump_breaker
Captain
Default RE: Stereo Upgrades

Me personally I stay stick with Pioneer. The most important thing to do though is to match the RMS of the speaker with the RMS of the head deck. Don't worry about peak power as much.

Old 11-22-2005, 04:40 AM
hemi24s
Rookie

for your door speakers i would highly recommend boston accoustics speakers, they have many
sets but if you have the $$ get the pro series, it is the best set of speakers for the money. i heard
that the mtx setup is kinda weak, if your a bass freak like myself you would want to replace your
middle seat upfront with a custom box that has enough airspace for a 12" jl audio W7. trust me
you will not be dissapointed! way worth the money

Old 11-22-2005, 10:53 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

There are many good choices. One of the many important things you must look at is a matched set. So basically use the same brand and model series front and back. If you are serious about the sound, get some component speakers with a crossover for the front and some 3 or 4 ways for the rear and add a small amp to power all the speakers. While there are premium speakers like Boston Acoustics, you will be fine buying any decent brand if all you want is better sound. I recommend finding a pair that fits your budget and has good sensitivity. I also recommend going with some noise control such as Dynamat, Noise killer blue, etc.

Hope I didn't confuse you.

Old 11-22-2005, 11:19 AM
babyrooth

I don't want to get too cared away with adding things. It is a lease vehicle and in case I opt out of buying it at the end of theterm i don't want to have to give up a lot of gear. I still have three years to go on the lease so I want to enjoyu the most out of the truck. I am just looking for some simple upgrades that will make it more enjoyable than the stock stereo. I have no intention of making this a show truck and I want to hear the radio, not everyone outside the truck. I know that my head unit (panasonic) puts out 22 RMS. Spent three weeks looking for the radio, just would like some helpful advice on speakers from those who have the same style truck and set up.

Old 11-22-2005, 11:47 AM
jeffjs
Professional

What model head unit did you go with? I want to change mine out, too.

Old 11-22-2005, 01:24 PM
05ramlaramie
Veteran

My truck came with the 7 speaker infinity system.

I switched out the headunit for a Kenwood unit with built in sirius capability. It was a little bit of a pain for the installers because they first had to disconnect from the Infinity amp and run all new wires from the tweeters and door speakers.

Then...I went with Alpine components (6x9 in the front) and two new outside tweeters on the dash keeping the center channel stock. NICE highs and mids, NO crackling.

Then I looked into a sub. I went with the Q-logic rear underseat single enclosure from Crutchfield for about 220.00. Then I added a 10" Infinity Kappa Perfect sub and powered it with a 350W Rockford Fosgate Amp mounted under my drivers seat.

All together...everything sounds GREAT. The sub hits nice and hard and tight and NO rattling. That Q-logic fiberglass enclosure is VERY nice and fits perfect under the rear seat.

*Dont bother with the MTX thunderforms. The unit takes up both rear seats and only hits at 200W.....My setup hits at 350W and only takes up 1 spot...so i kept the other fold-out floor. That MTX setup is cheap though. I spent about 750.00 for my sub, enclosure, and amp not including install (another 125.00). The MTX system is only about 500-550.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:51 PM
babyrooth

ORIGINAL: jeffjs

What model head unit did you go with? I want to change mine out, too.

I got a Panasonic CQ-C8100U from crutchfield. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4bmTNXC...300&I=133C8100
It came with the wiring harness and mounting bracket along with free shipping. I got this head unit for the aux input to plug my XM Roady into. All in all it was pretty cheap and am happy witht he unit so far.

Quick Reply: Stereo Upgrades