3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 1500 Intermittently won't shift into overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 09:53 PM
Remington7x
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 1500 Intermittently won't shift into overdrive

I actually have more than one issue but I'm hoping they're all linked. I can leave home in the morning with everything cold and it will shift through all the gears just fine. Then maybe 1 mile or 15 miles down the road it will kick the cruise off and be stuck in 3rd gear. From there on out it will stay in 3rd gear and the cruise won't even turn on. At times it will not do it for upwards of 40 miles and the next time it will do it in the first 100 feet. It may stay that way all day or the next time you drive it, it may be fine and shift into overdrive. It will also die once and awhile when it does this. And then it will long crank but once it starts the engine doesn't miss or sputter. I read the codes today there was't a tranny code of any kind there was one for an o2 sensor and crank sensor. I was hoping there would be a code for a tranny sensor or throttle position or something that could cause it. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance

Old 08-01-2017, 01:37 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Remington7x
I actually have more than one issue but I'm hoping they're all linked. I can leave home in the morning with everything cold and it will shift through all the gears just fine. Then maybe 1 mile or 15 miles down the road it will kick the cruise off and be stuck in 3rd gear. From there on out it will stay in 3rd gear and the cruise won't even turn on. At times it will not do it for upwards of 40 miles and the next time it will do it in the first 100 feet. It may stay that way all day or the next time you drive it, it may be fine and shift into overdrive. It will also die once and awhile when it does this. And then it will long crank but once it starts the engine doesn't miss or sputter. I read the codes today there was't a tranny code of any kind there was one for an o2 sensor and crank sensor. I was hoping there would be a code for a tranny sensor or throttle position or something that could cause it. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance

Crank sensor might explain the occasional stall. Normally when you take off cold, the trans locks out overdrive until it gets to it's operating temp; are you sure it's shifting through ALL of them? If I remember right, in addition to locking out OD it's supposed to disable cruise until temp is reached as well.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:40 AM
Remington7x
Default More info

It will shift through all 4 and converter lock up right after taking off..granted it's 65 degrees in the morning. Then my other question is when the engine misfires because of the crank sensor could that put the tranny in limp mode? I also thought about checking fuel pressure although it doesn't necessarily seem like a fuel pump but it has similar symptoms. Thanks again

Old 08-02-2017, 10:47 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your trans is a 5 speed. When everything is functioning correctly, you should feel the shift through every gear and then TC lockup.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:22 PM
Remington7x

Guess I didn't know it was a 5 speed but yes it will shift through everything fine and converter lock up....sometimes....this morning I drove 20 miles to work flawlessly. Goin home it may only make it 100 feet before it does its crap and I will be stuck in 3rd gear running about 2800 rpm to get down the road.