3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi multiple misfire, no idle with codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 11:19 AM
Adam Ramsey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi multiple misfire, no idle with codes

Long time reader, first time poster. I just bought my first Dodge. It's a 04 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Big Horn Edition. I got it for 1400 bucks so as you can imagine it does have some problems. I thought I'd try a forum instead of throwing parts at it. I always use forums to solve customer problems but this is a first for my personal vehicles. Anywho, it's throwing a code for multiple misfire. Barely idles if at all with codes thrown. Clear them out and it idles very rough. Driving it home it stalled at every stop without the throttle slightly pressed. During driving though it never died, just ran rough. It has zero exhaust on it from the man back, so with that it has zero o2 sensors I'm assuming. Not even sure how many it had? I know it's going to be a struggle but I appreciate any info you can give me on the truck and the problem!

Old 09-03-2017, 04:36 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what motor is in the truck? 4.7 or 5.7 or 3.7? i would start checking simple things like plugs and electrical connections. depending on how the plugs look i would do a compression check and check for intake leaks. pull the valve covers is also a good place to start checking for problems
sounds like you have a dead cylinder or a few
also how many miles?

Old 09-03-2017, 05:14 PM
Adam Ramsey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Details

Sorry, it's the 5.7 hemi with 165k on it. I've read that valve springs are a culprit. Soon as I get a chance I'm going to inspect everything real good and I'll let you know what I see.