3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Remote Starter..

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 02:13 AM
Stillborn
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Starter..

Hey guys, I live in Canada.. [snow here] and I went to start my truck with my remote starter today..and it started..ran for about 5 seconds..and shut off..and kept repeating [I didnt press the button again, it kept starting by itself]. The security light also flashes when this happens, then it shuts off. Now, I tried the remote starter later in the day when the truck was warm, and it started fine and stayed running. So I thought alright cool, maybe it was just ****ed up. So later tonight after coming out of work, truck covered in snow and is cold after a 6 hour shift. Try to autostart it. starts..runs for about 5 seconds..stalls again.. any idea whats up with this?

Old 11-24-2005, 05:10 AM
HEMI_n_Cali
Professional
Default RE: Remote Starter..

Does your truck have a security system? Its common for security systems to stop the vehicle from running. They prolly disabled the battery when putting in the remote start and now the alarm keeps it from running. If you dont have an alarm factory or after-market im not sure what it is. To get it fixed, id either take it back or take it to an alarm place and reset your alarm or get it removed. I hear many horrior stories from people that have alarms.

Old 11-25-2005, 12:37 AM
Stillborn
Veteran

but it makes no sense, because it worked fine like 5 days ago! [Ive had the truck for a few months, and never had a problem]

Old 11-29-2005, 05:24 PM
kachina_labala

im not sure if the ram has the "chip in key". I f they do you had to buy a special module for the remote start that has a "key chip" that goes by the ignition. I had the same problem on my jeep because the chip module moved away from the ignition because of the tilt steering. no chip, no running.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:01 AM
mkc

I had similar problems, I pulled the fuses out of the remote starter, and I also disconnected the vehicle battery to reset computer. This worked for a while, I found out that there was a problem with the computer and the remote starter interfacing with each other, I took it back to where I got the remote start, and they were able to fix it. I apologize that I do not remember exactly what was the problem. What kind of remote starter do you have?- mikemedic130@aol.com

Old 11-30-2005, 01:10 AM
tenntech
Professional

I'm assuming this vehicle is equipped with sentry key system (uses a gray key instead of black). If it does have skim, I'd say somethings wrong with your skim interface module. This module is installed when they add remote start and allows the vehicle to be started keyless without putting the vehicle into theft mode. If it is a mopar system it will probably need to be repaired by a dealer, since they may have to replace the module and program the skim module to accept the interface system.

Quick Reply: Remote Starter..