3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

07 Skid plate install

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 12:52 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Talking 07 Skid plate install

My 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 didn't come with skid plates. So I ordered the front suspension skid plate and the transfer case skid plate and bracket. So far I received the transfer case skid plate and frame mounting bracket.

The transfer case skid plate kit I found came with the frame mounting bracket as well as the skid plate and mounting bolts.

The frame has all the mounting holes/dimples already stamped, but not threaded, as well as the frame mounting bracket. So after a quick trip to Harbor Freight for a metric tap set, I got all the bosses tapped. I probably could have found a standard tap to use, but I already had the hardware to bolt it up. After that, it was a simple bolt-on process.

07 Skid plate install-hw9gqpy.jpg

07 Skid plate install-hn9me2t.jpg

07 Skid plate install-v9xqd7i.jpg

07 Skid plate install-lurl7ib.jpg

07 Skid plate install-uquqcux.jpg

07 Skid plate install-3zp0xl8.jpg

The transfer case skid plate is interchangeable with the front skid plate, the mounting holes do line up, the only difference I can see (from pictures since I haven't received the front skid plate yet) is an extra large hole, probably for the oil drain bolt or something like that. I'll post up pictures of that install when it comes in.

Here is a great write-up on a fuel tank skid plate install, hopefully, it will work out for a 1500. dodge talk .com/forums/showthread.php?t=199417

Here are the part numbers for 2007
82210014 front skid plate
52022048AH transfer case skid plate
52022046AD frame mount for the transfer case skid plate
mounting bolts metric M8x1.25x30

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Skid plate1.PDF (446.3 KB, 218 views)
File Type: pdf
Skid plate2.PDF (67.1 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 10-07-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:10 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Here is the front Suspension skid plate installed. This exact one is from a 2012 Ram 1500, and it fits perfectly on my 2007 Ram 1500.
This install may be simple, but when I was looking for info on them there were over a couple dozen posts with no to very little info and or pictures. So hopefully, this will help others out.

07 Skid plate install-tzh7f9q.jpg

07 Skid plate install-imcaqbz.jpg

07 Skid plate install-h0caz66.jpg

Old 10-04-2017, 02:21 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Cool. Thanks for the photos.

If you take that thing in any sort of mud, make sure you spray up under there real well, as it likes to collect stuff on top of it.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:43 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha
Cool. Thanks for the photos.

If you take that thing in any sort of mud, make sure you spray up under there real well, as it likes to collect stuff on top of it.
Thanks
Ya, any sort of shelf type of a surface will collect mud and oil and can rust out, so cleaning is necessary.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:22 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

I found a set of skid plates from a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon on eBay. It included the fuel tank skid plate, transfer case skid, as well as two heavy duty skid plate cross-members. Here is my install of them on my 2007 Dodge Ram 1500.

07 Skid plate install-jpkikr2.jpg

The Ram 1500's Transfer case skid plate cross-member is a single stamped sheet metal part, the Power Wagon's is quite beefy with rectangular tubing welded to the upper mounts, and bolts in the same location on the 1500.

07 Skid plate install-opcrgno.jpg

The transfer case skid plate is the same on 1500 and the PW.

07 Skid plate install-tqhciei.jpg

The PW comes with a 2nd identical cross-member which supports the front of the gas tank skid as well as the skid plate bars.

07 Skid plate install-5zldsa2.jpg
Photo pulled from Google.

07 Skid plate install-mq6nzlp.jpg
Photo pulled from Google.

The gas tank cross-member bolts right in with a little tapping the existing bosses.
07 Skid plate install-gpuewhh.jpg
07 Skid plate install-tdn7etq.jpg

The gas tank skid plate bolted right into the ebrake cable holder bolt hole on the side of the frame rail. I did have to drill out and tap the two bolts on the side of the mount. Also, on my truck it has these two bolts sticking out the frame rails, there are a front and rear set on both side of the rear axle. I assume these might be for mounting an airbag helper spring if anyone knows for sure let me know. I thought it might be for a fifth Wheel or gooseneck hitch but the bed is solid no holes in the bed where a fifth wheel hitch would be.
07 Skid plate install-hth3w05.jpg

For the rear upper mount for the gas tank skid plate, I used a large existing hole that I just ran a long bolt through. It would not bolt up to the fuel tank strap bolt as other skid plates use.
07 Skid plate install-ragdy7n.jpg

I had an extra transfer case skid plate, so I modified it to use as a transmission oil pan skid plate. All I did was drill and use c-clip nuts on the frame for the rear side. The front side I bolted it to the frame using a 1/4in steel stock that I welded on.

07 Skid plate install-mbiwxs3.jpg

07 Skid plate install-fj2qvpb.jpg

I wasn't able to install the 3 skid plate bars as it would have no support up front, also I don't think it is necessary to protect the muffler when it is out the way enough.
07 Skid plate install-lm1nffv.jpg