3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

vibration drive shaft drive train

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 10:40 AM
3rdgens4sell
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default vibration drive shaft drive train

so i have a vibration that i think is drive shaft related. it occurs at speeds between 30 and 40 mph. most noticable at 35 mph. it is felt in the seat and center arm rest, not felt in the steering wheel at all. braking or coasting through the 30 to 40 mph range seems to make it more noticable. fast acceleration through the range seems to make it not vibrate. it is not engine or transmission related, doesnt matter what gear/rpm just the speed.
the truck is a 2006 dodge ram 1500 st long bed rwd 3.7l 167k miles
recently replaced the center support bearing
replaced all rotors and brake pads
put new seals in the brake calipers
rebuilt the engine
im thinking it is the drive shaft being out of balance, when putting on the center support bearing i had to remove the cv style clamps holding the boot in place and put on screw type hose clamps. the vibration was pretty bad then. i read about balancing a drive shaft with 2 hose clamps and tried that which only made it not as bad but still very noticable. just wondering if any of the other forum members have had simmaler problems with vibration cause by drive shaft balance or any other advice

Old 10-19-2017, 06:03 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional

changed the hose clamps out for cv boot clamps.
seems to have made the vibration not as bad but could just be me getting use to it or it acting differently on one drive. think i might just spend the money and get it balanced.
is 65 bucks a normal price for drive shaft balance?
or 160 for 3 new spicer u joints and balance seem like a normal price?
the u joints arent loose and dont sqeek so i dont think there bad...

Old 10-19-2017, 08:58 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Going way back after I had my gears done I struggled with same problem. In the course of 3 or 4 years??? following had the same drive line shop balance it like 3 times. Each time it was a new tech. I was never satisfied with it since I was very sensitive to vibrations. Ended up finding a new guy that opened a small shop brought my 2 piece driveshaft to him. He looked at the shaft immediately said they bend at the shaft the center support bearing sits on. Couple minutes later he gets it set up on lathe with dial indicator and confirms the shaft was bent. Picked up drive shaft couple hours later I was a happy camper.....worked like new.
Prices sound cheap compared to where I live.... I'd put new joints on. Make sure the guy knows what he doing!!!!!!!

Last edited by big guy; 10-19-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:10 AM
3rdgens4sell
Professional

thank you big guy for the response. i think im going to get the u joints and balance done. i hope its not a bent section of the drive shaft but i will have that checked.