3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what anti theft system does a 2005 dodge ram 1500 have

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 04:17 PM
JoshL98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry what anti theft system does a 2005 dodge ram 1500 have

I am finding not just Google but all search engines to be worthless when it comes to anything involving my truck, so I turn to you looking for answers.
I am looking at putting in a remote start in my 05 Ram 1500 and a lot of them have alarms/anti-theft, and compatibility issues or need specific modules(ie. Bypass Module), relays.
So, as the title states, what anti-theft system is in a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500? or does anyone have product suggestions for a Remote Start System? Does it have security ignition protection

Seems I expect to much from our every gadget is connected life.
I would have thought that Dodge/Chrysler something .com would have had the answer

Old 12-06-2017, 03:33 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not so much, they really don't care about your 12yr old truck lol. Depends on whether you have a black key or gray key. Black key is no SKIM, gray key is chipped for SKIM (Security Key Immobilizer Module).

Old 12-06-2017, 04:08 PM
JoshL98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
Not so much, they really don't care about your 12yr old truck
not any more but it was on the net at somepoint
Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
Depends on whether you have a black key or gray key. Black key is no SKIM, gray key is chipped for SKIM (Security Key Immobilizer Module).
damn, thank you, because I was under the impression that mine had standard keys(no clue as to where I got that idea) , black keyfob, gray key, so a bypass module will be needed

Old 12-07-2017, 11:57 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshL98
damn, thank you, because I was under the impression that mine had standard keys(no clue as to where I got that idea) , black keyfob, gray key, so a bypass module will be needed
Probably got the idea just because it was a normal key without anything attached to it, they didn't phase in those combined key and fob sets until later. They didn't change the fob color, just the key. Keep in mind this only applies to OEM keys. Yes, you will need a bypass module. There used to be a factory remote start kit for the 05 but not likely you could find the pieces (two parts, both discontinued). I lucked out and found both for my Charger, as it was that took a few months of looking. I'm stuck with aftermarket if I want it for truck or Magnum.